• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Concealed weapon permits in Walton County

New posts
If what gun owners claimed was true, shootings would be decreasing.

Instead they are occurring more frequently and the death and injury tolls keep getting higher.

More guns do NOT make us safer, they increase the likelihood we will get shot.
 
If what gun owners claimed was true, shootings would be decreasing.

Instead they are occurring more frequently and the death and injury tolls keep getting higher.

More guns do NOT make us safer, they increase the likelihood we will get shot.

Methinks you watch too much TV news without doing your own fact checking. Violent crime is down in the USA. It is down in Florida. The logic implied here that more concealed carry gun permits equates to a more dangerous society is simply not supported by statistics. Violent crime in Gilchrist County, the Florida county where one is least likely to encounter a concealed carry gun owner, went down 8.8% from 2010 to 2011. Violent crime in our beloved Walton County went down 10.9% in the same time period. So, when someone figures out a good reason for me to start wringing my hands about people toting around guns, please let me know. :yawn:

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/glance/firearmnonfatalno.cfm

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/FSAC/Menu/County-Profiles.aspx
 
Violent crime may be down, but mass shootings are happening with greater frequency.

To each their own, but I don't like being surrounded by guns. Especially when one starts doing the math on how many people have substance abuse, drinking, or mental issues.
 
Violent crime may be down, but mass shootings are happening with greater frequency.

To each their own, but I don't like being surrounded by guns. Especially when one starts doing the math on how many people have substance abuse, drinking, or mental issues.

Actually you would be incorrect about an increase of mass shootings, too. It may seem like there is an increase because we are now a 24/7/365 cable/internet news society, and we have to work hard to avoid drumbeat, frenzied reporting, but the reality is that there are actually fewer mass shootings now than in the past. In fact, according to a criminologist in Minnesota, the events may have peaked in 1929! For your own sanity I suggest you put into practice what I do at our house-when a lunatic goes on a rampage that is certain to trigger the sensational, breathless, heartwrenching, nonstop news reports, just turn off the damn TV. It really does work, I promise. http://news.yahoo.com/no-rise-mass-killings-impact-huge-185700637.html
 
There is more than 1 gun per citizen in this country. What could you conclude about a society that covets guns in such numbers? Do we need armed guards in our schools with armed moms, dads, and babysitters picking up our future gun owners at schools? At what point do you begin to think it through and wonder if the great motivator here is fear? Fear of your neighbor, fear of the stranger, fear of those different than you, fear of what might happen, fear of those you disagree with, fear that you don't have enough firepower, fear that your guns will be taken, fear that all hell will break loose.....fill in the blank. I believe the answers are ugly.
 
I'm one of those citizens that have a carry permit. I have a business and a wife and kids. I've owned hand guns for over 40 years and have been trained in the use of my pistol. If you are against those of us that desire to have a method of protection against those who prefer to take from rather than work for what we have, then please wear a yellow sign indicating that if you, your wife or daughter are being attacked, I should ignore the screams and move on down the road, rather than possibly harming your attacker.
How many folks have you saved over the years? How many times have you lost your temper? Was your gun within reach? When you lose control with anger or fear you are a danger to yourself and especially your family. But you knew that.
 
My brother always packs except when he is on Delta Airlines property. He has had too many bad incidents in ATL.

Us too. Like when someone rear-ended us at a mall in ATL. We got out and checked our car. It was okay. They said, "Check our car." Hubby said, "You hit us. You can check out your own car." They were offended and pulled out a gun. Thankfully the traffic light turned green, and we got the heck out of there. Recently there was an off-roader in the 4000 empty acres behind us that drove toward our home and pointed their headlights into our living room. We called the cops. They couldn't get back there and suggested that we get a gun. Uh, yes we have guns after a home invasion we experienced years ago.

Another home invasion in Fairburn, GA, a couple of days ago. You can't depend on 911. By the time the cops arrive, you could be dead.
 
The cops I know recommend locked doors, awareness, and a big dog.

Guns may make you feel safer but people depend on them too much. Often criminals steal your gun, use it against you, or you shoot a loved one instead of a burglar.

And if you do choose to own a gun, at least follow basic safety rules. That is my biggest problem with all the guns around - a complete lack of responsibility.
 
Last edited:
Criminals usually already have guns and they will steal someone else's too. I wish our society was more peaceful and the need for self defense was not warranted, but unfortunately, it isn't the case. As long as criminals have guns, I NEED one. Criminals will always have access to them, forever and ever. I agree with zebraspots, have a big dog too. The dog would be my first line of defense while I get the gun and call 911. I do not like guns, I don't want to carry one or even have one in my home, but life isn't perfect and someone may want to hurt me or my family for some reason or no reasonable reason at all. One has to prepare for all sorts of things in life, and I choose self preparedness. Statistics are not good, even in Walton Co., a day could come, just like a hurricane coud come. so be ready for it. Save your life and protect your loved ones.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top