• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Oh happy day! I think I have started a rant thread about this every single year since we moved here, when I would fill out my kids' school paperwork at the start of every school year, and see the form that, with my approval and signature, would allow my children to be paddled at school. Of course I never gave my permission, and would scribble my thoughts and objections all over the form.

No more! As reported in this week's DeFuniak Herald/Beach Breeze, at the July 1st WCSD meeting, the board voted to end corporal punishment as part of the Student Code of Conduct for the 2014-2015 school year. Of course, this should have happened many years ago, but heck, I'll take it!
Way to go Walton County School Board- you did the right thing!:clap:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I strongly disagree! But then I was raised in an era where corporal punishment was not only allowed, it was used frequently. More importantly, if I was paddled at school, the disipline I received when I got home, made me realize such carrying on was not worth the conseqences. In that era, the schools also taught civics, international relations and a variety of subjects not even considered in today's schools, if what I hear is true. I'll take my education and corporal punishment over what is garnered as "education" in today's schools anytime.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
If carrying on wasn't worth the consequences, why are you still going at it?

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
The reason civics and international relations is not taught in school has nothing to do with corporal punishment. It is completely connected to FCATs that only grade reading and math. Teachers and administrators in the younger grades are so worried about the implications of low FCAT scores they feel they have no time to teach anything else -- even basics like penmanship.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
In Michigan, you still have to pass civics in order to get a high school diploma, whether from public or private high school.

But when it comes to Florida, our elected representatives to Tallahassee prefer to give their constituents the mushroom treatment.