• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Crabbing!

New posts
Yeah, poor sportsmanship to harvest females, egg-bearing or not. Easy enough to release them. If you're served females at a restuarant, be sure to raise a stink (that's one I won't live down with my friends anytime soon....)

SJ- the Washington Monument shape is how I also learned to differentiate the gender, and I also look for the "Capital Dome" shape on the females. Now, I learned to crab up in Maryland, so that must be the origin of the two shape names. We used to tie a chicken leg to a long cord and drop from bridges to crab back then. Now I just bait up my traps and plan a crab boil.
 
The shoreline (here in Gulf County) was teeming with crabs, male and female today. I'd step into the water to try to get in and swim, and the crabs would dart here and there, menacingly raising their claws. I was a little freaked out!
I've seen a crab or two before, but nothing like this.
The water was also thick with schools of little minnows; were the crabs getting some live prey?
 
Cil said:
The shoreline (here in Gulf County) was teeming with crabs, male and female today. I'd step into the water to try to get in and swim, and the crabs would dart here and there, menacingly raising their claws. I was a little freaked out!
I've seen a crab or two before, but nothing like this.
The water was also thick with schools of little minnows; were the crabs getting some live prey?

Mating season.
 
Cil said:
Thanks Kurt. Aw, I didn't know they were getting frisky in there.
Hope I didn't disturb them too much.

I wouldn't worry about it CIL since it is mating "SEASON" (Gosh, wouldn't that be bad if we as humans just had a "SEASON" for such?) I am sure they got back to business pretty fast if you did disturb them. ;-)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top