• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I am sick of watching beautiful land in Walton County getting scraped down to the dirt. We've quickly changed from a tree-loving, conscientious community to one that seemingly cares about nothing natural. Sad to think back 25 years or so when St. Joe led the way with careful planning and preservation, and has changed to be just fine with the sickening big builder/developer method of removing every living thing down to the dirt. A precedence allowed by our community and government, which every builder and developer has been happy to copy without limits.

When the matter is brought up, the offenders deflect with empty words about our beautiful beaches and public lands.

The existence of State parks and forest should not justify the destruction happening around us every day. The greed is appalling and is ruining a once beautiful place.

Professor

Beach Lover
May 20, 2021
Santa Rosa Beach
Preach Dawn.

I have to admit, I was not a preservationist until I moved to Walton County. But you arrive here, and you see the stunning beauty, especially off of the beach. The animals, birds, unique trees and plants. There is even strong indications that Ivory Billed Woodpeckers are still in the county.

It seems that the original Watersound really got it right. Also Watercolor as well. The old St. Joe.

I see it as a factor of two distinctly different counties north and south of the Bay. North sees the "South End" only as a golden goose, not a unique place to be developed intelligently so as to preserve it. Until the full time residents who live south of the Bay surpass the North, and bring in preservation-minded commissioners, the destruction will continue. I hope when that times does come, it's not too late.

Right now, Walton County is the prime example along the Gulf Coast of how not to develop a county and preserve the natural beauty that drew people there in the first place.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Preach Dawn.

I have to admit, I was not a preservationist until I moved to Walton County. But you arrive here, and you see the stunning beauty, especially off of the beach. The animals, birds, unique trees and plants. There is even strong indications that Ivory Billed Woodpeckers are still in the county.

It seems that the original Watersound really got it right. Also Watercolor as well. The old St. Joe.

I see it as a factor of two distinctly different counties north and south of the Bay. North sees the "South End" only as a golden goose, not a unique place to be developed intelligently so as to preserve it. Until the full time residents who live south of the Bay surpass the North, and bring in preservation-minded commissioners, the destruction will continue. I hope when that times does come, it's not too late.

Right now, Walton County is the prime example along the Gulf Coast of how not to develop a county and preserve the natural beauty that drew people there in the first place.
I heard Barbara Morano has filed to run for district 5 commissioner. Could be a real game changer if we can get her elected.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I heard Barbara Morano has filed to run for district 5 commissioner. Could be a real game changer if we can get her elected.
She is running. There are also two other seats that could change if some worthwhile candidates would just step up.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
Preach Dawn.

Nice post unfortunately it seems tooamy people moving here are fine with Horton cracker boxes with 15 foot setbacks and no trees. Some developers would save trees and develop responsibly and make more profit because of it. Now consumers accept s**t at ridiculously high prices.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
The cynic in me says she will get torpedoed. If she gets elected she'll be neutered or a lone dissenter. Although one voice is better then nothing I guess. Look at the BCC recent history. The pro development faction got control and have had a stranglehold for awhile now.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Nice to see the hysterics here too.

Go buy it if you want to preserve it.

Most of the land you are upset about being "torn up" is old timber forest that was planted after stripping the natural vegetation away.

We are fortunate to have so much preservation land and many communities would be jealous to have a tenth of what we have.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015

Most of the land you are upset about being "torn up" is old timber forest that was planted after stripping the natural vegetation away.

We are fortunate to have so much preservation land and many communities would be jealous to have a tenth of what we have.
Yep, you would be foolish not to develop your land to its highest and best use.

Professor

Beach Lover
May 20, 2021
Santa Rosa Beach

Is it safe to assume you are all about "customary use"?

How can you assume you know what land Dawn, or myself, are referring to?

The only reason there is preservation land, state forest land, is because the state preserved it. The county would love to confiscate those lands. Heck, they keep ordering $600,000 studies to "study" dissecting state forest for a St. Joe-ordered thoroughfare connecting 30A to the Hwy 98 Test Track.
Further, I don't know the details, but I know its a miracle that Topsail Preserve even exists.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Is it safe to assume you are all about "customary use"?

How can you assume you know what land Dawn, or myself, are referring to?

The only reason there is preservation land, state forest land, is because the state preserved it. The county would love to confiscate those lands. Heck, they keep ordering $600,000 studies to "study" dissecting state forest for a St. Joe-ordered thoroughfare connecting 30A to the Hwy 98 Test Track.
Further, I don't know the details, but I know its a miracle that Topsail Preserve even exists.
Do a search on this forum for Topsail and it's all here in an old thread.

Unfortunately the road through the state forest is moving forward and seems like a done deal.