• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Shelly, your assumption that wages must go way up or housing prices must go way down is overly simplistic; neither will happen. Housing prices in resort areas have been out of reach for most upper-middle class income groups for some time, much less the service workers in low and very low-income brackets. Surely you realize that the vast majority of these homes are not being purchased by local residents? They are mostly second homes or investment properties.

On the subject of service, we have generally had good service at South Walton, ranging from restaurant servers to massage therapists to gas station attendants. There is little or no correlation between how close to work someone lives and how much pride they take in their work. In our community, there is not a house in town available for under a million dollars, yet we have incredible service in restaurants, at wineries, and other places where lower-income workers are employed. It does not hold that a person offers excellent service only if they are able to buy a house on the beach less than five miles from where they work. I fail to see your point. Sounds as if you are righteously ticked that you've been shut out of the housing market down there. While that may be a valid emotion, it doesn't translate into a solid economic principle.

Real solutions to planning problems typically require a constructive basis and a "can do" attitude. I don't see any of that here, just doom and gloom and, "Don't forget that I told you so." It is a really tiresome point of view, frankly.

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
I agree Donna. Shelly's posts are sooooo tiresome. And she throws links out like they prove something. For every article and statistic she posts, I can post 10 others that say the opposite. Her points are very angry and shallow. I've gotten to where I don't want to wade through all the negativity. I doubt she will stop unless :banned: