• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dining Alone

New posts
Beach Runner said:
I ain't bringing no book. I wanna TALK!

BTW I'm so excited - Snoop is on Leno in a few minutes!!!!!!!!

Ok, I have so many questions for you BR. Do you live in Chisholm (LL)? Question two tomorrow. But, we'll see BR the same place, the same time. Thanks for joining us on 20 Questions!!!
 
whiteyfunn said:
Ok, I have so many questions for you BR. Do you live in Chisholm (LL)? Question two tomorrow. But, we'll see BR the same place, the same time. Thanks for joining us on 20 Questions!!!

:lolabove: :floor:
 
Landlocked said:

Chisholm- an area of Montgomery near the fair grounds. Just another way of saying "Cue the circus music."
 
But some of these so-called "rules" are actually ones meant to keep singles from eating alone, particularly women (who not too long ago were never supposed to be unaccompained in public spaces like bars or restaurants.)
There is certainly truth to this.

I dine alone all the time. What bothers me is the wait staff's attitude towards me, a single woman. I noticed this in some restaurants in Walton County. Though I am polite, I am still given sub-standard treatment: ignored, no bread, no drink refill, check comes before dessert offer, check slapped on table with no smile, no eye contact.

It is assumed that I will leave little or no tip since it is believed that women do not know how to tip, so any effort on my behalf is futile.Also, I imagine the sight of a single woman dining alone looks pathetic and may hurt their business, so I am seated in a dark corner.

Ha, now I bring post-it notes with me, and whenever I get bad service, I leave a note explaining why I left a minimal tip, if any at all. Otherwise, I leave generous tips for great service. When I return, they DO remember how well I treated them and they treat me right.

--------------------------------------

I love dining at both the upstairs and downstairs bars at Bud And Alleys. I like to sit there and write in my journal over bottomless glasses of tea and those sweet potato fries.

I also appreciate sushi bars who put up a sign, ?No cell phones, please.?
 
This is a great thread revival- thanks Tupelo! And:welcome: !

I just re-read the whole thread- it appears that Rapunzel found us here!:biggrin: For better or worse- you are stuck with us now!

I remember this heated discussion - should one read while dining out alone? Has anyone had any good dining alone experiences since last year?
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top