• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TondaB

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2011
Walton County is discontinuing DISABILITY BEACH PERMITS starting essentially immediately. I’ve owned a house in South Walton since 2011. I’m a single parent of a disabled daughter. We do not live here full time, but stay often. She can not physically carry her own beach chair across Grayton Beach, nor can she make multiple trips to our car from public beach access and I can’t leave her behind to walk back and forth for supplies from our SUV. A huge factor to our enjoyment is spending time on Grayton Beach with all the other families. Who can I call? Who can I complain to. This is awful for legitimate disability access!

Professor

Beach Lover
May 20, 2021
Santa Rosa Beach
@TondaB , I seriously feel for you. Everyone should be able to enjoy the SoWal beaches.

I know you can start with the BCC, which is who passed this.

I mean, what are they thinking? What is the logic of this move? Based on answers as to "why" I would see if the DOJ can encourage the BCC to reconsider.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
There are too many permits and too much traffic in Grayton ... probably should be Grayton residents only. Or none - just fishing boats would be ok with me.

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
Walton County is discontinuing DISABILITY BEACH PERMITS starting essentially immediately. I’ve owned a house in South Walton since 2011. I’m a single parent of a disabled daughter. We do not live here full time, but stay often. She can not physically carry her own beach chair across Grayton Beach, nor can she make multiple trips to our car from public beach access and I can’t leave her behind to walk back and forth for supplies from our SUV. A huge factor to our enjoyment is spending time on Grayton Beach with all the other families. Who can I call? Who can I complain to. This is awful for legitimate disability access!
This is not true. A friend got his disability beach permit yesterday, June 27th, and was told nothing is changing. He lives in Freeport.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
This is not true. A friend got his disability beach permit yesterday, June 27th, and was told nothing is changing. He lives in Freeport.

Freeport is in Walton County making them a resident of the county.

Scotland Yard

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2024
Grayton Beach
My family has owned our Grayton Beach property since 1955. My grandfather passed his property down generations to me and my sister. We are each part-time residents, 6 months of the year. Now our grandchildren are coming to be with us and enjoy Grayton life. My wife has become handicapped and had relied on the nonresident temporary beach drive on permit to continue to use and enjoy Grayton Beach. The action of the county to discontinue the nonresident temporary handicapped permit is unconscionable. Surely a better solution could be found to avoid such a significant loss to generational supporters of Grayton Beach.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
My family has owned our Grayton Beach property since 1955. My grandfather passed his property down generations to me and my sister. We are each part-time residents, 6 months of the year. Now our grandchildren are coming to be with us and enjoy Grayton life. My wife has become handicapped and had relied on the nonresident temporary beach drive on permit to continue to use and enjoy Grayton Beach. The action of the county to discontinue the nonresident temporary handicapped permit is unconscionable. Surely a better solution could be found to avoid such a significant loss to generational supporters of Grayton Beach.

Why don't you just establish residency?