• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Double Reds this morning?

New posts

Paige

Beach Lover
What time do they change the flags in the morning? They were double red yesturday, starting early in the afternoon. I had hoped thet would be down graded when I got tro the beach this morning.

I rented a paddle board for the week and would like to ride some waves. I got enough of Western Lake, now I need the wave action. Thw water is beautiful with a nice bit of serve.
 
I only hope everyone obeys the double red flags. I just came in from the walkover and you can pick out where the rip currents probably are located from so high above. Four drownings and twenty rescued yesterday at PCB. We certainly don't want that or need that here. At first I wasn't sure the life guard program was a good thing but I am definitely convinced now that it was the right way to go.
 
We arrived on Saturday to red flags. Yesterday and today there are double red flags. We are very disappointed not to be able to go in the water, but realize the flag system is for our protection. We're hoping we will be able to go swimming later this week. I'm sure tropical storm Edouard will be kicking up the surf for the next few days.

Is it usual to have red and double red flags flying in August? Or is this unusual? In over 30 years of going to the beach, I've never encountered this before.

:(
 
For current flag conditions go here:
http://www.swfd.org/

And, better safe than sorry!!

And to Luvthebeach57, this beach is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get...no matter what time of year it is. I've seen double red and green flags in every month since I started coming down here 16 years ago. Just wait a day or two. Things may be completely different. Walking in deep sand is great exercise anyway! And don't the waves sound wonderful?
 
Last edited:
Read in the paper this morning that there was 4 rescues on the beach between Inlet and Seagrove yesterday in spite of the double red flags. I wonder if our beach patrols gave out any tickets, it didn't say. If not they need to be more consistent about this. Hate to say it, and it may sound cold, but maybe a few drownings might get peoples attention. The TDC would never do it but maybe they ought to think about posting a notice on the beachs where drownings take place about the occurence.
Now I'm sure I will be castigated for this post, most asuredly from those with business interests in getting people on the beach. Kind of remindes me of Jaws when the sheriff wanted to close the beachs - stick your heads in the sand.
 
Both the Sheriff and a lifeguard drove past swimmers in the water when I was at the beach - if a red is flying, I think ticketing folks is a better deterrent than scaring them w/ drowning stats.
 
That's the problem scooterbug, the people just go right back in the water after the police leave. Talking to a buddy about this today and he said that's what he observed happening on the beach yesterday. All too typical. MAybe a significant fine would help - $500/first offense. It is not possible that anybody could claim ignorance of the meaning of the flag system so a first offense ticket is jusified IMO.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top