• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Double Reds this morning?

New posts
Both the Sheriff and a lifeguard drove past swimmers in the water when I was at the beach - if a red is flying, I think ticketing folks is a better deterrent than scaring them w/ drowning stats.


And that is the problem, they (lifeguards/WCSO) direct them to stay out of the water and they wait until they are past and get back in. I like the idea of tickets but what can we SOWALLERS do? Telling them to get in the water in places such as Grayton is helping when there are double reds and people have drowned???:idontno:
 
I heard that when patrols have ignorant people insisting on going in the water with double flags, they ask them for information regarding next of kin so they know who to call when the idiot doesn't make it back in.
Why do so many people think they can swim better than everybody else who already drowned this year.
And it is so unfair to all the rescue people to expect them to risk their own life out of someone's ignorance. :bang:
 
And that is the problem, they (lifeguards/WCSO) direct them to stay out of the water and they wait until they are past and get back in. I like the idea of tickets but what can we SOWALLERS do? Telling them to get in the water in places such as Grayton is helping when there are double reds and people have drowned???:idontno:

I was telling them to go to Grayton so they can swim/play in the outfall/lake, not the ocean.
 
Andy A, like you, I wasn't so sure about the lifeguard program being good for us, because I thought there was potential for too much policing, but after what I've seen, I know the program is an excellent one. Gary Wise and his guards are to be commended and respected.

I like the idea of ticketing people for entering closed waters, but I can see the problem with people not carrying their ID and giving false information to the cops if they know they are about to get a ticket.

Paddle Boards in this area are new. Current laws require a tethered leash to the surfboard, and I think the paddleboards would not be permitted on double red flags, unlike their close cousin, the surfboard.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top