• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
My two daughters graduated from SWHS and folks there's a drug problem in our schools. The kids know what's there and parents often don't have a clue.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
In 1974-1978 there was drugs in my school in a rural county in the midwest with a high school graduating class of 90. Why do you think there wouldn't be drugs in schools today. Are you implying that there were no drugs in your school or were you home schooled or just shielded?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
In 1944-1948 drugs in my high school in Pueblo, Colorado were unheard of. Someone please explain to me the difference in the youth of today vs. the youth of yesterday, and I am not referring to all the obvious technical advances our nation has achieved.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
In 1974-1978 there was drugs in my school in a rural county in the midwest with a high school graduating class of 90. Why do you think there wouldn't be drugs in schools today. Are you implying that there were no drugs in your school or were you home schooled or just shielded?

Out of sight, out of mind? I finished high school in 1966. If there were drugs there I didn't know about it. My daughter finished high school in another state in the early 90s and none of her friends were into drugs and she talked a lot about what went on at school. My son finished at SWHS in 2010 and he always said drugs were there if you want them. Ignoring the problem doesn't help anything.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Andy, the drugs have changed. Even if your school didn't have drugs, I'm sure there were kids that snuck a cold one whenever they could.

Drugs are in ALL high schools, and have been for well over 30 years. It's not just SWHS. When I attended Freeport 30 years ago, I knew who did and who didn't and who dealt. However, SWHS had the reputation...and from what I understand, the drug-free kids at SWHS today are actively working to make a name for the school for other reasons.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Out of sight, out of mind? I finished high school in 1966. If there were drugs there I didn't know about it. My daughter finished high school in another state in the early 90s and none of her friends were into drugs and she talked a lot about what went on at school. My son finished at SWHS in 2010 and he always said drugs were there if you want them. Ignoring the problem doesn't help anything.

Not saying you we should ignore it, but if you are not willing to seek and hold accountable those who deal or use while at school then it is the same as ignoring the problem. There is a school resource officer in most of our schools, I wonder if there have been any recent bust? I think that dogs should run through the hallways and rooms through out the school to see what is there.

Yes, there are drugs in Walton schools and all schools, from what parents who have teenagers have told me. Drugs are everywhere. For example, I can't tell you how many drug deals involving teenagers that I've see go down at the bench in Seaside just across 30A from Pizza Bar. I'm sure there are similar deals going on all over 30A and the elsewhere; we just happen to spend a lot of time in Seaside. I smirked when I saw that Seaside has been named the world's best beach for families.http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/Seaside-Named-Worlds-Best-Beach-For-Families-187487751.html. Families need to know that while they are having their cocktails and thinking that their kids are totally "safe," the kids are probably buying drugs from a local teen who blends in with the rest of the kids. Again it's not just Seaside -- that's just the only place I've seen it happen.

I have no clue what the answer is. It's not the schools' responsibility to fix this -- it's just a small piece of what's going on -- at malls, movie theatre parking lots, etc.

I do have one answer. Parents should avoid drinking in front of their kids. I mean, a beer with Mexican food or a glass of wine with a nice meal is one thing. Parents should never be inebriated in front of their kids. Parents should not drink and drive, especially in front of their kids. Parents should set an example. For kids, both drugs and alcohol are illegal. So they can't see why it's okay for their parents to drink beer all afternoon at the beach, yet it's not okay for them to get high. I wish that my husband and I had not been so casual about drinking in front of our child. We regret it. Thank God she got through those years because I know so many parents whose teens have been in rehab.