• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

john hendrix

Beach Comber
Aug 14, 2018
birmingham
I am looking for pictures from the 1950's or 60's of the north side of Oyster Lake in Dune Allen as well as any information regarding the history of possibly a Boy Scout Camp around Oyster Lake back then??? We were told our home was part of that camp when we purchased it 20 years ago but I havent been able to find a source for this.
Thanks in advance!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The coastal branch library had some aerials from then a couple of years ago. They may still have them or point you to them.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I went to it. It was a YMCA camp called Camp Harold Baird. Named after the builder who put up most of the original homes, including mine, along 30A in Dune Allen and SRB. Without being nosy tell me where you're located, and I'll tell you. There are only maybe two structures left that were associated with the camp

john hendrix

Beach Comber
Aug 14, 2018
birmingham
I went to it. It was a YMCA camp called Camp Harold Baird. Named after the builder who put up most of the original homes, including mine, along 30A in Dune Allen and SRB. Without being nosy tell me where you're located, and I'll tell you. There are only maybe two structures left that were associated with the camp
Hi! We are at 121 Oyster Lake Drive. Cinder block house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 31

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Here are some shots for reference. The camp encompassed the outlined area. The boys cabins were over on Bob-Bo Ln or Allen Lakeshore Dr. Those structures were there until maybe the last ten years or so. The house in the second picture was the far end of the camp, and if memory served was where the head counselor lived. That's the only remaining structure. Amazingly, you can see the remnants of the old dock!

Attachments

• dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 31
  • house.jpg
    house.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 24
  • camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 32

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
You posted that just before I uploaded my shots. Yes...that was the house where the head counselor lived. It was the furthest structure to the east. Everything else except the old dock pilings is gone!
Hurricane Eloise was not kind to Camp Harold Baird. After Eloise, the remaining gutted buildings became places to explore, and other things teenagers do...

john hendrix

Beach Comber
Aug 14, 2018
birmingham
You posted that just before I uploaded my shots. Yes...that was the house where the head counselor lived. It was the furthest structure to the east. Everything else except the old dock pilings is gone!
Oh wow! Thanks for the info! Our house is 2 separate structures connected by a screened in porch (originally), We added the larger screened in deck later. Any idea why 2 separate structures? One side is basically a big room with loft. The other flat side has kitchen, bath and bedrooms.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Oh wow! Thanks for the info! Our house is 2 separate structures connected by a screened in porch (originally), We added the larger screened in deck later. Any idea why 2 separate structures? One side is basically a big room with loft. The other flat side has kitchen, bath and bedrooms.

It was likely to avoid kitchen fires. I doubt there was any fire department that long ago.