• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

DuneLaker

New posts
First of all, how was tonight? 20 miles to the other end of 30-A was too far for me to drive after being out all day with the kids.

You... me... we have to make plans for a history date.

What was the first "industry" in this region?
 
I was hoping to see you tonight. I guess the first "industry" was native people in this area about 20,000 years ago probably doing trade with other native people.
 
I was hoping to see you tonight. I guess the first "industry" was native people in this area about 20,000 years ago probably doing trade with other native people.

Okay, clarifying...:floor:300 years or so ago.:wave:
 
European influence in this area began about 500 years ago. The "industry" was military, the search for gold and world domination in the Atlantic Zone prevailed. About 300 years ago, this area was clearly Spanish Florida. So, the industry would have been the support of Spain in conflict/support with other European competing nations. Native peoples were working with several European powers at the same time. Obviously, this is all short posting answers to very complex realities of the day.
 
European influence in this area began about 500 years ago. The "industry" was military, the search for gold and world domination in the Atlantic Zone prevailed. About 300 years ago, this area was clearly Spanish Florida. So, the industry would have been the support of Spain in conflict/support with other European competing nations. Native peoples were working with several European powers at the same time. Obviously, this is all short posting answers to very complex realities of the day.

So, how'd your family end up down here?

Part of mine came directly from Germany & landed in Mobile/Baldwin County in 1850, the Zant/Wenzel side.

The other part Cooper/Cumbaa came from NC thought SC for a while and deposited peeps in SC, GA (ATL and south GA), the down to this area, some in NEFL and then all the way out to TX and beyond. My part just happened to stay in Baldwin County. They literally followed the Trail of Tears and hid their tri-racial ethnicity pretty well with name changes. There are some of my ancestors here, although I have not done all my research yet.

And my dad's side came down from up north, the Pennsylvania Dutch, through AL and down to Pascagoula.
 
Well, we'll just have to discuss that over coffee one day. I'm really interested in your German story. I've got some sources you might want to look into for more information. I'm off for tonight. Another busy day tomorrow. Good Night.
 
Ummmmm. SWGB. I see you changed your location station. What happened to sober land?

Yes, I see hubby has been regailing the world with stories of my evening/morning. I actually changed that prior to drunketyfest.

So, how'd your family end up down here?

Part of mine came directly from Germany & landed in Mobile/Baldwin County in 1850, the Zant/Wenzel side.

The other part Cooper/Cumbaa came from NC thought SC for a while and deposited peeps in SC, GA (ATL and south GA), the down to this area, some in NEFL and then all the way out to TX and beyond. My part just happened to stay in Baldwin County. They literally followed the Trail of Tears and hid their tri-racial ethnicity pretty well with name changes. There are some of my ancestors here, although I have not done all my research yet.

And my dad's side came down from up north, the Pennsylvania Dutch, through AL and down to Pascagoula.

Woohoo, we'll have to discuss the German thing on Wednesday. I'm 50% German and hubby is 100% German. :wave:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top