• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
This will be a disaster! Please let your commissioners know these things are not for our area. During a recent trip to Dallas I got to see first hand all about these things. People just drop them where ever they dont need them anymore. They NEVER get returned to the "stations" and are a hazard to people trying to walk.drive anywhere in Dallas. They are laying all over the streets, in bushes,driveways,doorways. I couldnt believe what a mess and how the city just left them laying around everywhere. They are not tended to and you just have to scan a QR code with a Lyft or Uber app to use them. If you get on that the battery is dead on just drop it where it stops and find another one to scan. HORRIBLE business model for this area.

E-scooters on the horizon in Walton County
While some people think electric scooters are a fun way to get around, others say they can cause an increase in clutter.

"Very specific areas where people can pick those up and leave them at, kind of like bike racks," said Jay Odinokov, owner of local business E-Motion.

Odinokov says officials need to carefully regulate electric scooter rentals in Walton County.

"There's definitely a lot of good things that come with electric scooters, it's just, what is the best way to do it?" he said.

Walton County Commissioner Tony Anderson asked the county attorney to look at the recently passed state law and how other cities are handling scooters.

"He just wants the information, he wants to find out what these scooters are about, how the rentals work and see going forward what Walton County will have available to them," said Louis Svehla, Public Information Officer for the Walton County Board of Commissioners.

The Board of Commissioners is aware of the high tourism traffic in Walton County, according to Svehla, but he adds the electric scooters would be no different than what people already see with cars, bikes, and carts.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
If a commissioner's family or friend wants in, they'll be welcomed. Just like golf carts.

I've been surprised we haven't seen an explosion of motorized scooters like other tourist towns. Hopefully when they come they'll at least be electric. Maybe electric bikes will be the thing.

Golf carts are the worst thing SoWal residents have ever had to swallow?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I think these thing will be even worse than golf carts. scooooooooooooooooooooooooter.jpg

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
These would be a huge huge detriment on our area. Atlanta is having so many problems with these, from what I understand. The CDC has asked local ERs to start documenting injuries. And they would be all over the bike paths. Atlanta has resorted to using geofencing to halve the speeds on the scooters during peak times on the Beltline (popular ATL bike/walking path) from 16 mph to 8. Just say no!!!

blindrid

Beach Lover
Aug 17, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
First of all, golf carts have proven to be of little issue. Scooters with proper regulations have proven to work. In saying that, any scooters not returned properly should be confiscated. I’m hoping in doing that the renter of the scooter would be penalized. Not having rented one, I’m hoping there is some type of “deposit “ for the lack of a better term to penalize the renter.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
First of all, golf carts have proven to be of little issue. Scooters with proper regulations have proven to work. In saying that, any scooters not returned properly should be confiscated. I’m hoping in doing that the renter of the scooter would be penalized. Not having rented one, I’m hoping there is some type of “deposit “ for the lack of a better term to penalize the renter.
Hey blindrid..you must be blind if you think that golf carts have proven to be of little issue on 30A!...Golf carts on 30A are a safety hazard ...people overload them there are no seatbelts and the authorities do nothing..if I drove my car the way some of the people who drive these carts do I’d be ticketed. No seat belts kids hanging out and people under the influence of alcohol

blindrid

Beach Lover
Aug 17, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
Obviously we disagree. Sure, there are idiots driving autos, golf carts, skateboards, scooters, etc. That doesn’t change the legality and obviously, those doing stupid things should be written up. Sounds like some people assume they are under the influence but may or may not be. That’s why one buys in an area that is not overwrought with tourists.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Obviously we disagree. Sure, there are idiots driving autos, golf carts, skateboards, scooters, etc. That doesn’t change the legality and obviously, those doing stupid things should be written up. Sounds like some people assume they are under the influence but may or may not be. That’s why one buys in an area that is not overwrought with tourists.
lol
Golf cart vendors always stick out big time on this forum. So how many scooters will be in your first shipment?

blindrid

Beach Lover
Aug 17, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
Bob: I do not have a dog in this hunt but am continually amazed at the narrow minded attitude found in this forum. The area is built on tourism and should expect the bad with the good. Any sarcasm should be vented toward those that complain against the tourists as that what makes this area’s economy.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Their business model is built around people being able to use them and leave them wherever they want. The apps for the respective companies show where the scooters are and how much of a charge is left. The user scans a QR code with the app which unlocks the scooter for a dollar. After that, they are about fifteen cents per minute. When you're done, just get off and leave it for the next person who may want to use it. They don't get returned anywhere.

At the end of the night there are people who collect them to charge them and to make any necessary repairs. They will generally put them back out in one or two specific starting spots for the day.