E-scooters in SoWal?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by jodiFL, Jul 11, 2019.

1. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

This will be a disaster! Please let your commissioners know these things are not for our area. During a recent trip to Dallas I got to see first hand all about these things. People just drop them where ever they dont need them anymore. They NEVER get returned to the "stations" and are a hazard to people trying to walk.drive anywhere in Dallas. They are laying all over the streets, in bushes,driveways,doorways. I couldnt believe what a mess and how the city just left them laying around everywhere. They are not tended to and you just have to scan a QR code with a Lyft or Uber app to use them. If you get on that the battery is dead on just drop it where it stops and find another one to scan. HORRIBLE business model for this area.

E-scooters on the horizon in Walton County

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  2. bob1

bob1 Beach Comber

If a commissioner's family or friend wants in, they'll be welcomed. Just like golf carts.

I've been surprised we haven't seen an explosion of motorized scooters like other tourist towns. Hopefully when they come they'll at least be electric. Maybe electric bikes will be the thing.

Golf carts are the worst thing SoWal residents have ever had to swallow?

3. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I think these thing will be even worse than golf carts. scooooooooooooooooooooooooter.jpg

4. Duchess

Duchess Beach Lover

These would be a huge huge detriment on our area. Atlanta is having so many problems with these, from what I understand. The CDC has asked local ERs to start documenting injuries. And they would be all over the bike paths. Atlanta has resorted to using geofencing to halve the speeds on the scooters during peak times on the Beltline (popular ATL bike/walking path) from 16 mph to 8. Just say no!!!

5. blindrid

blindrid Beach Comber

First of all, golf carts have proven to be of little issue. Scooters with proper regulations have proven to work. In saying that, any scooters not returned properly should be confiscated. I’m hoping in doing that the renter of the scooter would be penalized. Not having rented one, I’m hoping there is some type of “deposit “ for the lack of a better term to penalize the renter.

6. outofadream

outofadream Beach Lover

Hey blindrid..you must be blind if you think that golf carts have proven to be of little issue on 30A!...Golf carts on 30A are a safety hazard ...people overload them there are no seatbelts and the authorities do nothing..if I drove my car the way some of the people who drive these carts do I’d be ticketed. No seat belts kids hanging out and people under the influence of alcohol

7. blindrid

blindrid Beach Comber

Obviously we disagree. Sure, there are idiots driving autos, golf carts, skateboards, scooters, etc. That doesn’t change the legality and obviously, those doing stupid things should be written up. Sounds like some people assume they are under the influence but may or may not be. That’s why one buys in an area that is not overwrought with tourists.

8. bob bob

bob bob Beach Fanatic

lol
    Golf cart vendors always stick out big time on this forum. So how many scooters will be in your first shipment?

9. blindrid

blindrid Beach Comber

Bob: I do not have a dog in this hunt but am continually amazed at the narrow minded attitude found in this forum. The area is built on tourism and should expect the bad with the good. Any sarcasm should be vented toward those that complain against the tourists as that what makes this area’s economy.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Will B

Will B Moderator

Their business model is built around people being able to use them and leave them wherever they want. The apps for the respective companies show where the scooters are and how much of a charge is left. The user scans a QR code with the app which unlocks the scooter for a dollar. After that, they are about fifteen cents per minute. When you're done, just get off and leave it for the next person who may want to use it. They don't get returned anywhere.

At the end of the night there are people who collect them to charge them and to make any necessary repairs. They will generally put them back out in one or two specific starting spots for the day.

11. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I can see it now...groups of teens zipping in and out and around the 30A traffic. Inebriated folks bar hopping on them on the bike paths (is there such a thing as SUI?) Hopefully they can fund EMTs on every corner to take care of all the mishaps.

12. kayti elliott

kayti elliott Beach Lover

Would they be any more of a nuisance than people on the thousands of bicycles?

13. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Wont be long before they outlaw cars/trucks on 30A and just give it to the scooters.bikes.golf carts.

14. Duchess

Duchess Beach Lover

Yes yes yes yes!! It would be much worse. They're left strewn *everywhere* when people are done with them. Driveways, front yards, parking spaces, and of course littering sidewalks & paths. Walton County does NOT want these!

15. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Whatever happened to walking as a way to get from place to place?

16. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

This forum IS YOUR community, sorry you feel out of place. Not everyone is chasing dollars or bowing down to the almighty tourist. You can do business here and help us to preserve the quality of live and preserve what makes SoWal special. Be discriminating.

17. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

Unfortunately you are correct. BUT take note - this is what is happening with bikes. Rental companies and resorts have become their own bike rental companies and treat bikes this way. Drop em wherever you want and we'll pick them up later or charge a fee.

18. Sweet Pot Pie

Sweet Pot Pie Beach Comber

Add a few Starbucks to the mix and the area will be crawling with hipsters

19. blindrid

blindrid Beach Comber

My last comment:
    1) I didn’t mean to ruffle feathers;
    2) everyone has reacted before there is a problem;
    3) yes it’s illegal to operate even a bicycle under the influence;
    4) whether one likes it or not, the tourism $ is an important part of the local economy which also supports real estate values;
    5) So if everyone is not bowing to tourism, we are whether we like it or not as that supports local retail and creates the supply and demand for services, businesses and real estate.

In closing, I hope everyone has a great evening and hope we don’t invent problems that come and go throughout our lifetime. I’m looking forward to good sand, good water and great sunsets.

20. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

1) you ruffle cliches.
    2) that is how problems are prevented in the first place
    3) not sure how that relates to a product we foresee as a problem even when everyone is sober.
    4) not everyone owns property, you seem to only be able to see your own point of view. No offense, that means you're normal.
    5) Once again, we do not all swing to your rhythm of supply and demand. I've heard the "without tourism we starve" argument so many times and it's insulting. Economies exist everywhere. If we are going to focus on the economy as our most important issue then we should be spending energy on diversification instead of simply bleeding tourists.