• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Expressions your mom used

New posts

DD

SoWal Expert
What expressions did your mom (or someone else) always use when you were growing up that you rarely hear now? Lots of "southernisms" come to mind with me and some I just don't even know WHERE they came from....for example............

"I'll bet you dollars to donuts.........." :shock:
 
My mom always said, Youre going to give me a nervous breakdown. As a child I always wondered what she meant by that
 
My mom's favourites were, "Don't lie to get out of trouble because I will find out about the lie and you'll be in twice as much trouble" (people wonder why I always say that my mother ALWAYS KNOWS and I come up with pretty decent lies) and "Just do it to make me shut up" when she nags us to do stuff.

My grandmother's favourite comments are, "You little s**t!" to everyone (mostly to the kids, though) and "Jesus, give me strength" because we all have a habit of plaguing her. :rolling:

And you can always tell when my family's playing pinochel because you hear my aunt scream "YOU HORSES ASS!" whenever my grandmother (who is ALWAYS my aunt's partner) screws her over.
 
My dad has a bunch of them:

Finer than frog's hair.
Hangin in there like a hair in a biscuit.
Slower than the steam off dog doo.
Glad you got to see me again!
If my life was any better I'd need a twin to share it with.

And, my favorite....


It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.
 
Mom..."Lie with dogs and you will get fleas." and the truest one of all " Courting is as good as it gets"

Dad..."Mr. Fair does not live here" I HATED that one!!! and " You will find help at the end of your arm."
 
Go in your room and think about what you did...followed by, you will talk to your Daddy ( a lawyer) when he comes home and explain yourself...God, it was so much worse than a whipping. Daddy would begin our conversation by having me tell him what I did, then asking me what my defense was and how did I plead. My parents never spanked me but I remember wishing they would...
 
The one I hated the most and tried to never use on my son was "when I was your age".
 
Mom -
"Wait 'til your father gets home."...Scary stuff

"You weren't raised in a barn."

"ANSWER ME", followed immediately by, "Don't back-talk me young lady."

Daddy -
"Quit crying or I'll give you something to cry about."

"Well I'm not everybody elses Daddy." (in answer to my whining that everybody else was doing something)

"Move Lynnie, your father wasn't a glass maker." (when I was standing in front of something he was trying to see) I didn't get that one for years.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top