• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Fishing

New posts
I always catch them using clark spoons or other silver spoon type lures. Sometimes I'll add a red bead or two just above the spoon, but when you find a school of spanish, they'll hit just about anything. I also catch them on plugs and topwater lures.

Minimum 40lb test flourocarbon leader material, I'll even use steel leaders if the lure is a pricey one. They is some toothy critters. I'll use 10- 12lb mono on the spool, and a 6-7 foot medium-light action rod makes for a fun fight. With spoons I use a ball-bearing swivel to keep the line from twisting.

Troll to find the spanish, then cast into a school. Lots of fun. For even more fun, try a fly rod.
 
I have a 10' rod and reel and want to surf fish next month for pompano and whatever else I might be able to catch on a 12 pnd test. Any help with or suggestions would be great thanks. I have bought a few minnows and fake sand fleas and jigs. Do any of these work?
 
beachdawg said:
I have a 10' rod and reel and want to surf fish next month for pompano and whatever else I might be able to catch on a 12 pnd test. Any help with or suggestions would be great thanks. I have bought a few minnows and fake sand fleas and jigs. Do any of these work?

I recommend to buy frozen(real)sandflees. They work well even after a day on the beach, frozen again and used the next morning they produced me a 35 inch redfish. Even some pompanos. I also got one in on a pearlcolored 3 inch shad on the tophook of my pompano-rig.
I would not try artificial if you can get the real deal.
Succes .
Henk
 
Where in Grayton do you get the sand fleas? How many to buy? And also (sorry im new to this) but the leader? How and how much do you use for mackeral or any for pompano and redfish? Ive only really ever fished on a pond so im trying to learn.
 
You really don't need the leader for pompano or redfish. Spanish, though, are toothy with sharp fins & tail and can cut the line...and you may stumble across a king while fishing for Spaniards. I have not tried it personally, but I suspect PowerPro or one of the other new super-braids would make a good leader. Forty-pound test in a braid is only about as big around as 10-lb mono, plus it's harder to spot in the water. If you use wire, go with black. Also use black snaps and swivels. They will strike at anything silver or shiny.

We often have very clear water here, so the fish can see everything.

I've gotten away with catching Spanish without a leader from the pier, but the pier puts you at a higher angle than a boat or surf-fishing.

With Spanish small lures, fished fast usually do better than large or slow--IMHO.

Live baitfish free-lined or under a popper can work wonders.
 
With my rod limited to 20 pnd test... Can I catch spanish Mack? or am I limited to pompano and reds?
 
You'll be fine. I usually only use 15-lb test and a black wire leader..if I use a leader at all.

Truth is, Spanish are not hard fighters. They'll pull for a minute or two then kind of just give up.
 
IMG_5889.JPG


IMG_5903.JPG


IMG_5910.JPG


Local fishing scene from Jun 3 2006
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top