• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Green Knight Lounge

New posts
kathydwells said:
I Love your stories, Donna!! You should write a book. :clap_1: :clap_1:
YES SHE SHOULD!!! I would be first in line to buy it!! Signed copy, OF COURSE!!!!!!:lolabove:
 
Thanks for posting this article from the NY Times. I read it, but always regretted not saving it for our beach file. Julia Reed is a wonderful writer. For years, she wrote for Bazaar Magazine and now writes food articles for the Sunday NY Times Magazine and some other major publications. I have always wished she would write a book about her Southern roots. Unfortunately, her home in New Orleans was badly damaged by Katrinia and the flooding. But she wrote a wonderful piece about a dinner party there where they were all making the best of things.

Julie Reed also wrote a piece about the late restaurant named Sandor's, which was a tiny European-style establishment located in the Cape Cod-ish building just north of the Seagrove Market and Cafe. We had a dinner there one night than was over the top, as good as any top restaurant in Paris. The chef insisted that we try his flourless chocolate cake for comparison's sake, when he realized we are friends with Thomas Keller of The French Laundry here in the Napa Valley. I was so full, didn't know where we could put even a shared desert. With all due respect to Chef Keller, Sandor's flourless chocolate cake was actually better than than of The French Laundry. The only downside was its pairing with the raspberry sorbet, which was delicious but interrupted the smoothness of that glorioius Valrona chocolate cake. Too bad the restaurant closed, because it was a gem.
 
I do miss Sandor's. I wonder what has become of him? Is he completely out of the restaurant business?
 
Thanks for the info, Kurt. Next time we're in Montgomery visiting my (ugh) mother-in-law, going to Sandor's new place will be priority one.

Interesting choice of locations. Pretty rural in that part of the state. I could see him opening a place in say, Birmingham, but Mount Willing? I have lived in Alabama my whole life and have never heard of that town.
 
JB said:
Thanks for the info, Kurt. Next time we're in Montgomery visiting my (ugh) mother-in-law, going to Sandor's new place will be priority one.

Interesting choice of locations. Pretty rural in that part of the state. I could see him opening a place in say, Birmingham, but Mount Willing? I have lived in Alabama my whole life and have never heard of that town.

I would like to know when he's open and how to get there.
 
The article said 35 miles south of Montgomery, which would put it pretty close to Troy. I am guessing you could take 331 north and get pretty close to Mount Willing.

I'm sure the Montgomery paper would have a blurb if they opened. Doesn't Landlocked live in Monkeytown? Maybe he knows something.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top