• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I posted those schools due to the statement made by beachmouse:

As for the percent meeting standards in 10th grade reading, this year's FCAT had 61% listed, which is still not ideal but not too far from what are seen as the good general enrollment high schools in the Panhandle that have students that regularly send kids to Ivies (Gulf Breeze, Niceville, Navarre)

One of our sons attended Duke and I can assure you that an SAT score of 1490 would not have gotten him there. He worked hard, and we set a high level of expectation.

The point being that some of the good reputation schools that do routinely have students who throw out good test numbers on the good pointy end of the bell curve aren't that different than SWHS on the metric that the very first post brought up.

And while averages present one aspect of a school, it's also helpful to know medians and general distributions of scores because there are frequently groups that will skew a simple average one way or another and may lead to conclusions that don't reflect a population as a whole, or fail to recognize a successful subgroup (example here- kids that take X number of AP classes) within the big group.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Since we are looking at the average test scores for SAT in Walton County, why are you showing us top-ranked college entrance requirements? Shouldn't we be looking at scores of acceptance for schools such as the ones a Walton County student might attend, like FSU, UF, UCF, UofM, etc? I'd bet that less than one percent of people who take the SAT go to all of those schools you listed, so if you want to use them as a reference grade, you should probably take only the highest SAT score for all of Walton County to see if they would be accepted on score alone. Just my $.03

I assume they posted those schools because that's where they want their kids to go - nothing wrong w/ aiming high, though I doubt a Walton student would get a good enough education to be competitive at one of those schools. They'd need a great deal of supplemental education and parental involvement.

Anyone getting into the schools posted would be in the top 1% of their class, so like you said, the average SAT score isn't a good indicator.

Last edited:

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
i assume they posted those schools because that's where they want their kids to go - nothing wrong w/ aiming high, though i doubt a walton student would get a good enough education to be competitive at one of those schools. They'd need a great deal of supplemental education and parental involvement.

Anyone getting into the schools posted would be in the top 1% of their class, so like you said, the average sat score isn't a good indicator.

View attachment 13835

These are the lowest levels of data available from Fla DOE

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I assume they posted those schools because that's where they want their kids to go - nothing wrong w/ aiming high, though I doubt a Walton student would get a good enough education to be competitive at one of those schools. They'd need a great deal of supplemental education and parental involvement.

Or got at least a 3 on a reasonable number of AP classes and wrote an interesting enough essay about their volunteer time spent with South Walton Turtle Watch and how that's inspired them to be a marine biologist.

The national elites want grades and test scores, but they're also big on bringing in a diverse freshman class that consists of students that are passionate about Something. The kid doing the best they can in a small town that may not have a ton of flashy opportunities stands out in the pile a lot more than the interchangable kids with excellent grades and tests from the same upper middle class suburban schools the school gets 10+ applications from every year.

A good 'Overcoming Obstacles' narrative makes an admissions office wet their pants in exctiement.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am talking about the basic education a student gets at a Walton County school - I just don't think it is a strong enough base to make them academically competitive at MIT, Harvard, etc.

Yes, grades and test scores are just one part of the admission process, but the TYPICAL applicant to these schools is not only an exceptional student w/ high test scores, they also volunteer, are a varsity athlete (usually a captain and in multiple sports), participate in a variety of extracurriculars, have 4s or 5s on AP exams, have been mainly in AP/accelerated classes, speak a 2nd language, and play a musical instrument/choir/drama. Most applicants to those schools are limiting their list of extracurriculars and honors to one page.

Things like Turtle Watch, interning at the Rep etc. can make them more interesting, but it only goes so far as most of their competition is doing the same thing.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
I am talking about the basic education a student gets at a Walton County school - I just don't think it is a strong enough base to make them academically competitive at MIT, Harvard, etc.

Yes, grades and test scores are just one part of the admission process, but the TYPICAL applicant to these schools is not only an exceptional student w/ high test scores, they also volunteer, are a varsity athlete (usually a captain and in multiple sports), participate in a variety of extracurriculars, have 4s or 5s on AP exams, have been mainly in AP/accelerated classes, speak a 2nd language, and play a musical instrument/choir/drama. Most applicants to those schools are limiting their list of extracurriculars and honors to one page.

Things like Turtle Watch, interning at the Rep etc. can make them more interesting, but it only goes so far as most of their competition is doing the same thing.

I find these statements profound. I honestly have no idea where my three children will end up in their college decision. Bottom line, I want them to have the best possible education. I know college planning starts happening in middle school here. It's nothing too serious, but the guidance counselors start encouraging some focus. My husband and I will be there every step of the way with our kids and we do expect some sort of secondary education or training. I want to know our school environment sets high expectations for those who can achieve it (and my assumption is most can).

It is true that we would be moving to Santa Rosa Beach for the lifestyle it offers. I think a previous post was correct in pointing out that some people considering moving there are doing so for lifestyle choices rather than necessity. Education reaches deep within the community.

Again, to know that board members read these posts and engage with us is incredible. I have never felt board members were accessible here. It's a huge plus. Communication is the key to progress. Just knowing I can reach out to receptive ears is HUGE!

And, back to my point. What concrete actions are being taken to resolve this? I understand some scheduling changes are taking place with hopes of a positive outcome. What about the principle and teachers of SWHS? Do they view this as a serious challenge and what are they going to do about it?

Here in Georgia, funding (including teacher bonuses) is dispersed based on student achievement. Anything like that in Florida or Walton County? IMO competition/challenge usually leads to better performance.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm just curious, have any kids ever graduated from SWHS and gone to an Ivy?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Don't know, but I graduated from Freeport 28 years ago and hit a 29 on my ACT, first try. :D

I am not as gung-ho over the seven-period day as I was before my son began working...but that is just because we are trying to reach compromises to allow academics to come first, but still maintain a job and varsity athletics. Things aren't as simple as they used to be - but at least we are no longer dealing with a teenager with idle time!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Don't know, but I graduated from Freeport 28 years ago and hit a 29 on my ACT, first try. :D

I am not as gung-ho over the seven-period day as I was before my son began working...but that is just because we are trying to reach compromises to allow academics to come first, but still maintain a job and varsity athletics. Things aren't as simple as they used to be - but at least we are no longer dealing with a teenager with idle time!

The timing will work out- remember, we all had 7 period days, sports, jobs, and a social life- and we all survived!;-)

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006

I have a niece and nephew at the best prep school in central Florida. My niece is currently exploring some of the finest universities in the south. She's not doing the entirety of your list and it doesn't seem to be an issue. While SWHS is not an exclusive, highly regarded prep school, you don't pay $15,000.00 a year to send your kids there.

The fact is that SWHS is getting better by the year, and I suspect it is about to get a lot better. The kids coming through middle school now are from the influx of parents that arrived here after 9/11 (coincided with the St Joe boom). The parents are deeply involved and the kids are getting quality, competitive educations at the South Walton middle schools (Seaside Middle is an outstanding school). I would expect that over the next decade, you will see a number of SWHS kids attending a wide array of universities including some on the aforementioned list.