• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Am I going to have to replace my roof every 15 years? That's crazy. Mine is older than that and it's immaculate. Also does it matter what kind of roof you put on? I'm thinking of going with metal for my next roof. You should be able to get at least 50 years out of one of those, but if I have to replace it in 20 years, it's not worth it.
Next year I plan on selling my home and possibly downsizing to a condo. My home was new in 2006/2007 and my roof is in fine condition also.
I’m worried the potential buyer will be refused insurance because it is the original roof. I did have the boots around the pipes replaced about five years ago which is just regular maintenance.
A neighbor had to install a new water heater recently because the insurance company told him to. A few years ago I installed an element/thermostat kit in mine and it works fine, but I will most likely get a new one before selling.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Just received my 2023 homeowners insurance renewal.
2022 it was $4,611.00
2023 it is $8,461.00
This does not include flood insurance.
We need some large DeSantis
“I did that” stickers for our windows

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Next year I plan on selling my home and possibly downsizing to a condo. My home was new in 2006/2007 and my roof is in fine condition also.
I’m worried the potential buyer will be refused insurance because it is the original roof. I did have the boots around the pipes replaced about five years ago which is just regular maintenance.
A neighbor had to install a new water heater recently because the insurance company told him to. A few years ago I installed an element/thermostat kit in mine and it works fine, but I will most likely get a new one before selling.
What really sucks is that I found out that if I decide to go with a standing seam metal roof, which I'd really like to do for my own personal security, my premiums are likely to go up because replacement costs will be higher should the roof be compromised.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Just received my 2023 homeowners insurance renewal.
2022 it was $4,611.00
2023 it is $8,461.00
This does not include flood insurance.
We need some large DeSantis
“I did that” stickers for our windows
Every time I see a picture of that f****ng doughboy douche with his characteristic dumbfounded mouth open wide look, I just want to :puke:

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
What really sucks is that I found out that if I decide to go with a standing seam metal roof, which I'd really like to do for my own personal security, my premiums are likely to go up because replacement costs will be higher should the roof be compromised.
Good info. I need to pass this on to my neighbor who wants to replace his current roof with metal.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Am I going to have to replace my roof every 15 years? That's crazy. Mine is older than that and it's immaculate. Also does it matter what kind of roof you put on? I'm thinking of going with metal for my next roof. You should be able to get at least 50 years out of one of those, but if I have to replace it in 20 years, it's not worth it.
My neighbor down the street was transferred to Houston and the new buyers insurance company gave them a similar quote and is requiring a new roof be installed.
The owner had his roof inspected recently and was told it did not need replacing at this time.
This neighborhood was built in 2006/2007 with 30 year roofing.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
"For $12,000 a year, you could just put back that money and have it grow in an account and be able to self-insure after 20 years of insurance. I just don't get it, these policies only pay out if you have a claim, it doesn't build any cash value like life insurance or savings accounts can - what is the solution here for Florida? People can't afford to pay these rates."

Link to discussion on Reddit

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
"For $12,000 a year, you could just put back that money and have it grow in an account and be able to self-insure after 20 years of insurance. I just don't get it, these policies only pay out if you have a claim, it doesn't build any cash value like life insurance or savings accounts can - what is the solution here for Florida? People can't afford to pay these rates."

Link to discussion on Reddit

Drag queens aren't reading to children and teachers have the right to discriminate against Trans people. #priorities

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Drag queens aren't reading to children and teachers have the right to discriminate against Trans people. #priorities
I’m sick and tired of drag queens knocking on my door asking me to convert.

Edit: it is Christian’s not drag queens knocking at my door asking for my soul.
Drag Queens are the ones who just want to entertain me

Last edited: