Misc Kaiya Beach Resort Planned on 26 Acres in South Walton

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jim Tucker, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Website is up
    kaiyabeachresort.com | A life in harmony

Believe it or not, there are people living in SoWal who rarely set foot on the beach. There's no mention of beach access in their marketing I've seen. There's no requirement for developments in Walton County to have beach access.

I understand people don't want more crowding on the beach, more competition for parking and facilities. But as along as development is approved, there will be more people. There wil be tens of thousands of new housing units in Walton County in the near future, with most of them south of I-10.

Meanwhile, try to enjoy your time in SoWal. One day these will be the good old days. :blush:

2. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Kurt it may not just up and offer it, but the first thing I see when I pull up the website is a closeup of surf. Sure seems to imply beach access.

The issue I see here I'd that in a few years someone will move in after the developers, realtors and hoopla have left and go to the county for resolution. Entirely too often we the tax payers are paying for someone else's shortsighted money grab.

It doesn't matter if they carefully avoid the words beach access, people generally come here for one reason and it's something this development cannot currently offer.

Will they shuttle people to Inlet beach or buy every unit an annual state park pass and cram them into Deer Lake like Prominence?

3. second wind

second wind Beach Lover

EBSCO Gulf Coast Development Inc owns property directly east and west of Alys Beach and across the street on 30A. At first glance the property looks to belong to Alys but was told not so...

4. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Had forgotten about that strip of land (driveway) with house at the end between Sandcliffs and Alys. Can't imagine Alys wouldn't outbid interloper for control to minimize competition if they saw this as happening.

5. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

EBSCO is a large corporation and not a developer traditionally. I don't think they were used to the kind of expenses it takes to develop and market an Alys Beach type development. They have always been understaffed. But that could be their corporate nature. The downturn in the market I believe made them not like the game so much. Things are going good again so maybe that will change. But They're probably not wanting to buy anymore land. They've got plenty of it to deal with.

6. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

The parcel between Alys and Sand Cliffs is owned by a family whom I understand is not willing to sell or offer up access. The family bought the land from EBSCO in the 80's.

Going back over the titles this property has no rights to the beach and doesn't have some ancient reference that would allow it. Basically it's landlocked unless someone sells or agrees to allow access.

7. second wind

second wind Beach Lover

You are probably right

8. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

The previous developers of this parcel took Sandcliff Estates to court looking for access and lost. Project (Aquatera) then folded. Hope this one does the same (folds that is).

9. Kurt Lischka

Development approved by planning commission...

According to Mauricio Castro, architect and project planner, the plan includes public trails and a public pool on north side.

54 single family homes, 21 row houses & 73 condos
    Full concierge service
    Non-gated, Welcoming Community
    Resort Spa & Boutique 25-room inn
    Stewardship (39% of 28.6 Acres Is Open Space)
    Club Level Memberships
    Restaurants & Local Shopping
    Walking & Biking Trails
    Formal Town Square & Public Green Spaces

kaiya.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  10. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

Love that picture with the nice beach access that's actually not on the developer's property (yet).

11. Kurt Lischka

Article in Beach Breeze Wednesday says the 2.2 acre beach parcel is part of the development. The article says the project was approved by planning commission.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  12. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

Thanks for the update. The developer must have closed on the beach parcel recently. I was going off of the Walton County Property Appraiser's map, which still shows the old owner.

13. Kurt Lischka

Or maybe a contract with contingencies.

14. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

The Planning Commission recommended approval, the project has not gone before the County Commission, as stated in the article.

15. second wind

second wind Beach Lover

Yeah, the family caved and now walk away with millions. Which is their right/choice. This new community has gone through 7-8 revisions with probably more to come. The developer knows how to lobby the right folks and was successful overturning the 250 ft buffer rule between residential preservation neighborhoods and commercial development. And more changes are coming. Sand Cliffs had a beautiful beach and a old Florida feel to its neighborhood . but now will need to share with the new development across the street.

16. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Yeah I would be upset if I suddenly had 100+ new neighbors (from one lot) on my quiet beachfront sub. Alys Beach can't be too happy either. They should have bought it for a buffer. I wonder if there was any effort to pool money from sandcliffs owners to buy it.

17. second wind

second wind Beach Lover

The family had always been adamant about not selling. Suppose everyone has their price.

18. BeachArkie

BeachArkie Beach Lover

I like the residential area, but there seems to be a lot crammed into the area closest to 30A. Is that a multi-story parking garage directly north of the beach access? And since when are parallel parking spaces allowed on 30A?

19. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

There is parallel parking in other places on 30A. Most of the southern buildings is likely commercial. Probably the northeastern portion is wetlands. Anytime you see developers designating an area as "open to the public" it is usually areas they can't build on and are trying to turn a negative into a positive without it costing them anything.

If there is a pool open to the public as mentioned you will probably see a flock of pigs soaring over the dunes like seagulls.

20. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Artists rendering not binding. Please refer to your legal purchase documents.