• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Leatherback Turtle nest 6/8/2008

New posts
It is a federal crime to mess with the nest or the contents. There has only been one nest this year being messed with over in Miramar Beach. Someone has pulled up the marking stakes a couple times, but hasn't messed with the actual nest as of yet. There are several people keeping on eye on that one including the Sheriff's office and they will catch someone eventually and wring their scrawny little necks.
There are yellow federal signs posted at each nest explaining what is there and what the laws are regarding it. People seem to be very good about leaving the nests alone.
Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for the armed offer.:biggrin:
 
How can the nest be protected? Is there a group in control of this? We are coming down next week........should we take a shift standing sentry (armed?).

Carry your cell phone and if you see someone messing with it call the cops. Then go over and :whack: them.
 
luckily our law enforcement office has an easy number to remember. I call it whenever I suspect a drunk driver and what not 267-2000!


Thanks! I will go put this in my cell phone right now! area code 850? I called it sowal sheriff...what is it exactly?
 
You got it right, Miss Kitty. South Walton has a Sheriff's Annex on 331 just north of Highway 98. It is across from the South Walton Government Annex. The South Walton Library is also in the general area if you need a landmark. The SoWal Sheriff's Annex is on the east side of 331 and the SoWal Government Annex is on the west side of 331.
 
leatherback sea turtle

There you are Christian, to the left side of your photo! That must be Joey with you, correct?
Hopefully you went out and bought a lottery ticket after that find.


Hey ASH:

It was great to meet you out at the nest, and thanks for your post--we have some cool turtle people, don't we? Yep, that's me on the left and Joey on the right, and we still couldn't touch hands even with me leaning--she was about 7' across with her flippers!

I forgot to play the lottery, but hey, I'm not in it for the money, anyway. The turtles seem to be settling-up with me. Two years ago I spent several sleepless nights lying next to a nest about to hatch, and when I arrived a little past sunset for another night of the vigil, the turtles had already hatched--120 little tracks down to the water. I was crushed that I'd missed the hatch. Ever since then the turtles have been very good to me. Like I said, the great turtle mother works in mysterious ways.
 
It is a federal crime to mess with the nest or the contents. There has only been one nest this year being messed with over in Miramar Beach. Someone has pulled up the marking stakes a couple times, but hasn't messed with the actual nest as of yet. There are several people keeping on eye on that one including the Sheriff's office and they will catch someone eventually and wring their scrawny little necks.
There are yellow federal signs posted at each nest explaining what is there and what the laws are regarding it. People seem to be very good about leaving the nests alone.
Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for the armed offer.:biggrin:
On a beach walk last night, somewhere around one of those nests high up on the dunes, around Deer Lake SP, there were two people with a flash light, on the dunes at one of the nest. They didn't appear to physically disturb the nest, but I wanted to beat their head in a little bit. They didn't linger long after I said loudly to my friend, "I wonder if they are trying to steal the eggs. You know that's a felony." Note to everyone, turn off your flashlights.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top