• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

New Orleans Hotels

New posts
We stayed at the astor once and it was most disgusting with very bad service....BUT it sure does look like you had funn...:D

very comfy carpets in the hallways... and very confusing to get around in when your drunk... they have half levels and stuff... terribly confusing at 9 am when you come home after a night, and morning of alcohol and beignets
 
:lol::lol: Now I do rememer that. all those levels confused me sober- I could not imagine them on 6 hand grenades...:lolabove:.
very comfy carpets in the hallways... and very confusing to get around in when your drunk... they have half levels and stuff... terribly confusing at 9 am when you come home after a night, and morning of alcohol and beignets
 
My sister-in-law's brother and his wife have this B&B in NOLA; it's just down the block from the art museum. It's absolutely beautiful and Patrick and Karma are life-long residents who are virtual fonts of knowledge. There's nothing--and no one--in NOLA they don't know about.

http://www.ashtonsbb.com/

If you are worried about transportation, why don't you simply rent a car? It's not especially hard to navigate around the city.
 
My sister-in-law's brother and his wife have this B&B in NOLA; it's just down the block from the art museum. It's absolutely beautiful and Patrick and Karma are life-long residents who are virtual fonts of knowledge. There's nothing--and no one--in NOLA they don't know about.

http://www.ashtonsbb.com/

If you are worried about transportation, why don't you simply rent a car? It's not especially hard to navigate around the city.
I rented a car when we were in Tallahassee last week. We had several places to visit so I needed a car. But a mid-size (Malibu) was $530 for 4 days! So if we can get around by cab here and there or an airport shuttle, I'd like to save the $$ for future college trips.
 
I rented a car when we were in Tallahassee last week. We had several places to visit so I needed a car. But a mid-size (Malibu) was $530 for 4 days! So if we can get around by cab here and there or an airport shuttle, I'd like to save the $$ for future college trips.
You did not shop very well if you paid that much money. We got a mid-sized car in Naples (over Easter weekend no less) and paid $135. What we did was rent in Naples, NOT the airport. It would have been the same amount you paid had we gone that route, and I prefer not to waste money needlessly. Airport pickups are exhorbitant in price. Get a shuttle to your chosen hotel and then a taxi to a car rental location in the city proper. You might not even need a taxi as there could be something within walking distance, as it was for us. Try www.kayak.com or www.travelocity.com and click on "off airport" car rental.
 
One time, on my way to Sowal, I took a flight into NOLA and left out of FWB. We picked up a rental car only a few miles from the airport.They picked us up promptly knowing in advance our flight and arrival time.

In LA, you do not have the excessive taxes on rental cars like FL. Add on the airport concession fees and you pay nearly double for a car.
I can't recall if there was an airport concession fee in LA, but most do for the cost and convenience of being right in the airport.
 
You did not shop very well if you paid that much money. We got a mid-sized car in Naples (over Easter weekend no less) and paid $135. What we did was rent in Naples, NOT the airport. It would have been the same amount you paid had we gone that route, and I prefer not to waste money needlessly. Airport pickups are exhorbitant in price. Get a shuttle to your chosen hotel and then a taxi to a car rental location in the city proper. You might not even need a taxi as there could be something within walking distance, as it was for us. Try www.kayak.com or www.travelocity.com and click on "off airport" car rental.

yes, I learned a lesson on those taxes. But I wouldn't exactly say that I didn't shop very well. We've rented many cars before but it's been about 4 years.

How many days was that for $135?? Wow!

We rented in ATL & drove the 4.5 hours and stayed in Tallahassee. We had a stop in Macon on the way down. There were so many things to get arranged and scheduled for this trip, the car rental was the least of my worries. (albeit, expensive.)

This was all a new hurdle for us. We had to take a shuttle from the airport to "car rental row" and had much conversation in convincing the driver to let us lug his cello in this massive flight case onto the shuttle. They even held back his bow case (even tho that was a carry-on), opened it, took them out for inspection. I thought my son was going to have a stroke. The days of easy flights are long gone.

I like kayak but have never tried the off airport car rental. I will definitely do that next time. Good tip.
.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top