• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Great ? about contributions Boss. I had earlier made a little joke about sending $$$ for bail money in case there were arrests made when the good people of 30-A grabbed their shovels and hauled that s&#t off the beach. Let us know what we can do from afar. This feels as scary as watching the hurricanes close in...except this could have been avoided!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Oh My God. I have been out of town, and seeing these pictures makes me want to cry.

That is not sand. That is good, rich dirt that has many tasty, useful agricultural applications. Beach rebuilding is not one of them. Wait until it rains on it. :shock:

Surely there is some SAND somewhere that, if not white, would be better than that for the beach?

Kelley Mayo

Beach Comber
Nov 20, 2004
It makes me really sad for all the locals who are watching this nightmare firsthand. Even I, the one-week-per-year-renter-who-knows-better-than-to-dare-to-walk-on-the-dunes am DEVASTATED by the prospect of our beautiful white beaches being contaminated by this brown sorry excuse for sand. Stand strong and don't back down. IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Last edited by a moderator:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Always follow the money and what a sad tale this is. First, I do not understand why acceptable "white" sand is not available in Walton County, when we see huge snow-white sand beaches created in Hawaii and even in a number of developing nations that have resort development.

A County Commissioner with a contracting business engaged on South County beaches should not be voting at all on issues effecting those beaches. It is an obvious financial conflict of interest. City and County Attorneys do not usually advise elected officials about conflicts unless they are specifically asked by that individual for a ruling. Someone needs to bring this question up as a formal request, that is, for the County Legal Counsel to make a determination. This usually involves a determination from the State of Florida, as well. This is a request that can be made to the County Administrative Officer, but probably needs to be made in writing.

Also, asking other County Commissioners "if they have a problem with" one doing work while serving on the Commission is considered polling those elected officials outside a public forum. It is illegal, a violation of the State's Sunshine Act.

When I was growing up down there, I remember County Commissioners who actually rented construction equipment to the County or had large contracts with the County and they never missed a vote. In my summer job, I helped process their invoices. I had rather hoped things had improved with time. Who owns this pit where the brown dirt is coming from? Who is the contractor excavating and depositing the dirt? Any financial gain possible from such activities constitutes an obvious and blatant conflict of interest.

This is making me angry. I wrote my letters and cc'd to everybody on the list provided (thanks mucho). Now I am wishing that I had flown down there to attend the meeting tonight. What a sad state of affairs.

Walton County should have a requirement for a grading plan and erosion control plan when work is done on or in proximity to the dunes. This would cover the importing of sand/dirt and also cover putting in retention walls or sea walls. There is already a big debris problem when walkways wash out. I guess in future cleanups, we'll have chunks of concrete and iron rebar poles. On some South Walton beaches, the inclusion of sea walls will essentially remove the beach for any public use. The public will only get to pick up the bill when disaster strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.