• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Random Thoughts

New posts
fabian_723169.jpg


I wonder if this photo is 2bfabian's High School Senior Portrait. :roll: :floor:
 
Do I have coyotes in my yard at night... This random thought thread fits my life very well... Damn, did I take out the garbage last night... it stinks bad...
 
:lolabove: SJ and Booby J, y'all (BR I didn't want you to barf before bedtime) made me spew my tea. Needed the laugh. :rofl: :floor:
 
It depends on what southerner you speak to. ;-)
You is often shortened to ya, hence the ya'll. Check out the urban dictionary.
But what the hail do I know being from N.Y. where we say you all in it's entirety.
LOL.

The hyphen is meant to be a substitution for missing letters, as in "it's" as being equivalent to "it is." That is a side issue to another of my random thoughts about being annoyed when people use "it's" when it should be the pronoun "its" or vice-versa. As per the example above.

"Ya" might be in urbandictionary, but it is not a traditional word. Even if it were (notice that I am using Beach Jacket's favorite subjunctive case), "ya" followed by "ll" doesn't make sense. I mean, what is "ll"? The meaning of the term "y'all" is "you all," not "you ll." The meaning of "y'all" is "you all" with the hyphen replacing the "ou" in the word "you."

I teach computer science, but having to be very precise as a computer programmer has tilted me towards being very precise in whatever language in which I am communicating.
 
BR- here's the link to ya'll in the urban dictionary. I kid ya not. :cool:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ya'll
Anyone can post on urbandictionary. It's like wikipedia. There are gross errors on both. I have corrected many mathematical errors on wikipedia which are very nauseating to me.

Bottom line: According to several friends of mine who have doctorates in English, it's "y'all," not "ya'll."

I still like you. :wub: I make errors, too. I am just hyper about my areas of expertise.
 
How do I know how much we should ask for our house when it goes on the market?:idontno: Hubby's theory is "If we don't ask it we won't get it"
I'm more along the line of don't overprice and be greedy.:roll:
 
IMO, y'all is slang since I was raised that it is lazy man speak.
I know that is not a popular view with others, and y'all can beat me with OMB's when you see me. ;-) (not Hops golf balls though) walnuts only.:funn:

Being raised in the Northeast and also in grammar school, I don't recall ever being "tested" on what the contraction was for you all.
Urban dictionary just presented a view of a southerner and it was almost a 50/ 50 split opinion. I didn't write it and very aware urban isn't gospel.
I am sure they probably don't have graduate degrees in English, but hail, Einstein couldn't tie his shoelaces. :biggrin:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top