• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Seaside Security & WCSO shut down the music

New posts

tired0909

Beach Comber
I am new to the area, so someone please help me makes sense or understand, what is up with live music. We attended the Grand Wine Tasting, at Seaside tonight, later went to the Graet Southern Cafe, to listen to James Dain (who is very good by the way) a red shirted security, person arrived at 10:55 pm and demanded that the music had to stop or close the place down, being in the music business for over 40 years, I figured the DB level was around fifty decibels. There was a lady that did not work for the Great Southern explain to the security guard that they needed to get a DB reading inside the complaint home with the windows shut. Before I could finish my smoke, two Walton Co. deputies showed up, I guess called by the security guard. They explained, they had no way to measure the sound. The owner of the Great Southern folded and would not press the point, and caved in to whatever the red shirt , said , even though the deputies, did not demand the music stop. I guess my question is this what is wrong with live music and why does it take an eldery lady to go to bat for her right to enjoy herself and listen to live music, when the very nervous owner, made the music stop.
FYI anyone can read a BD meter, and they can be bought for as little as $19.00. Please tell me I did not move to a very stuffed shirt place
 
Sorry, you did. This is now the Republic of Nofunistan. The owner is lucky they were allowed to play until 10:55 - the normal buzzkill hour is 10:00.
 
It's a fair guess that security was responding to a complaint from a guest or owner. Although, there sure wouldn't be many within earshot of GS this weekend. It's also a little disappointing, although not surprising, that it appears that there isn't some sort of prior agreement with the merchants.
 
Unfortunately is is so.....
You have stepped right in the middle of a big ole pile of pooh that has more or less had the top kicked out of it in the past month or so.
Welcome!!
 
This crackdown on our local music is such a disappointment. There is nothing cheerier or more festive or downright livelier than walking or driving through a great town (New Orleans, New York, Atl., you name it) and hearing live music. When did all the Nazi's move to SoWal?!?
 
Walton County does have a noise ordinance. And it does call for a db reading at the complainants location, although I don't remember if it is the property line or inside the house, and I don't recall anything about the windows being open or closed. But regardless, the SO ought to be equipped to take a db reading. Like so many other ordinances in this county, it is either not enforced or enforced in some half-assed weird way that varies according to who, what and where. Welcome to the outer provinces.
 
It's just so silly to get all riled up about music--and it's not like they're playing wild or offensive stuff at events like that!Swafia and I live just down the street from Eden, and very often we can hear the music from wedding receptions; sometimes so loud that it rattles my windows! Do we complain? Nope, we just kick back on the front porch and relish the fact that we get free seats to a great performance that we can enjoy in our jammies!
 
This sucks! :bang:

Come on S.O.! Either handle the complaints in a fair manner, or don't handle them at all.... Call code enforcement... since they're responsible for upholding the ordinance. This BS is getting out of hand and the whole community is going to suffer for it, not to mention locals and visitors alike are beginning to have a Very low opinion of our Sheriff's dept. (As if!) :roll:

I've had to listen to the Mexicans on the next street blare their music every Saturday night I've lived here. I've never called a cop to stop it, because occasionally I blare mine too.

Live and let live.
 
It's just so silly to get all riled up about music--and it's not like they're playing wild or offensive stuff at events like that!Swafia and I live just down the street from Eden, and very often we can hear the music from wedding receptions; sometimes so loud that it rattles my windows! Do we complain? Nope, we just kick back on the front porch and relish the fact that we get free seats to a great performance that we can enjoy in our jammies!

We feel the same way. We live fairly close to Gulf Place and when they have live music, we can generally hear it. It's like having your own live performance within the comfort of your own home! We view it as a positive :D
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top