• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

So...... How Does 26 Degrees Feel In SoWal???

New posts
Running your water is an extreme solution, up here in the tundra we leave the cabinet doors under the sink open to get warm air in there on really cold days.

Since I FINALLY got out from under the blankies and went downstairs and it was AS COLD AS EVER :cry:, I did a light drip on the faucet, opened the cabinets and cranked up the heat on the first floor just to be sure. I've never done anything like that before. Just lucky I guess.

Cork, there are always the freestanding electric fireplaces like this below. This one is around $370 but I have seen them a little cheaper. Maybe Walmart even has them. Home Depot has them up here and probably Lowe's. Don't think there is a Lowe's there though but there is a Home Depot on PCB Parkway in PC Beach.

I kinda thought of one of those lady but I want a REAL fire. I like the light on the walls, the crackling, smell and stuff. I REALLY miss it. Thinking about maybe gas or those can fuel ones.

Corky... for future reference (since we're thru the worst of it THIS time):

Check outside under your house... IF your plumbing pipes are not already insulated in some manner, it's a fairly easy task to insul-wrap them (in a sort of a thermal foam "hotdog bun" for pipes).

For exposed hose bibs / water spiggots ... wrap them in some thick towelling and shove an old tube sock up over the whole schmegilla to hold towelling in place (it's kind of "naughty" looking but it helps!). Of course garden hoses s/b detached, drained & put into a protected location.

You are soooo smart Gull! I've seen pipes wrapped in that foam before. I'd be shocked if the builder did that but he did put 3 air conditioners and 3 water heaters so you never know. Will check if it ever gets warm enough to go out. I'm such a puss and left all my thermals in Tarpon.

Back under the covers. Brrrrrrrrrr
 
According to our local paper, there were snow flurries in Florida and they were worried about the citrus crop!

Assumed it was further inland/east than Sowal. :idontno:
 
Cold, yuk! Not as cold as the '89 freeze, but still cold! In '89, we lost power because too many folks with all electric homes were pulling too many watts! I had some Vanguard Space Heaters, and a gas kitchen stove, and shut myself in the den/kitchen area with blankets! It snowed then, too! Here's a current photo of the ice/foam on the bay. Cool how the water recedes as the temps drop.
 
According to our local paper, there were snow flurries in Florida and they were worried about the citrus crop!

Assumed it was further inland/east than Sowal. :idontno:
Mosst of the flurries were around Daytona I think. But I read somewhere (Orlando Sentinel?) that the citrus came out ok.
 
Cold, yuk! Not as cold as the '89 freeze, but still cold! In '89, we lost power because too many folks with all electric homes were pulling too many watts! I had some Vanguard Space Heaters, and a gas kitchen stove, and shut myself in the den/kitchen area with blankets! It snowed then, too! Here's a current photo of the ice/foam on the bay. Cool how the water recedes as the temps drop.
I remember that one. Fortunately I had a gas stove and a very small house at the time but I remember trying to get pics of the flurries in Seagrove but it was so light that it didnt show up in the pic. I also remember a few years before that it snowed hard in Destin.
 
Here's how it felt yesterday morning in Grayton Beach....

AWarmGraytonWelcome.jpg
 
It remains cold here in Memphis...pulled out the Norwegian ski sweaters I had in upstate NY to wear to work today. But then I put daughter on plane to go back to college in upstate NY--where it is 4 degrees above zero and a wind chill of well below. My cold is relative, I guess.
But when I dream of being on the beach, ice in the fountain is not part of the dream...try electric blankets.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top