• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Furthur

Beach Lover
Jan 21, 2008
S.R.B.
I would like to encourage everyone to ready the letter in today's DeFuniak Springs Herald concerning the TDC Advisory Council .
It was written by Don Riley President of the WC Taxpayers' Asoc.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
It has been proven time and time again that private companies do a better job than government in almost everything. The TDC is a government agency. Why not find an effective PR firm to market Walton County? I'd like for a petition to circulate calling for the elimination of the TDC. Better still, Use bed tax money for something really useful like better maintenance and public facilities and perhaps cut the bed tax. I think the 26 miles of beaches sells itself.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
This is Dr. Riley's Letter to the Editor sent to the local media

Having had the displeasure of witnessing the dysfunction and discord infecting the S. Walton TDC Advisory Council at its recent meetings and having read the recent Audit Report, I urge that the BCC restructure that Council by summarily replacing certain members. It was painfully obvious that at least two or three of those members are much more concerned with personal vendettas than with the proper discharge of their public duties.

After acknowledging that Council members’ major responsibility under the law is to scrutinize the spending of bed tax dollars by the TDC, one member descended into an unseemly verbal attack on Commissioner Meadows, an intensely personal dislike venomously obvious in her tone and demeanor as she undertook her decidedly out of order questions and attack in an embarrassment to Walton County. Two other members then covered themselves with little glory as well.

These three seem not just unsupportive of Commissioner Meadows and Jim Bagby in their roles; they seem instead overtly hostile adversaries.

Mr. Bagby and Walton County deserve an Advisory Council which both knows AND properly discharges its statutory duties, one which recognizes that management of the TDC and its Executive Director is NOT in its purview. In our view, Mr. Bagby is saddled with a Council with several members who wish to fight him and secure his replacement.

None wanted the job of Treasurer, a role central to the Council ’s mission, and the discussion and demurrals concerning this position were another embarrassment, decidedly not in the best interest of Walton County and very adverse to the best interests of the bed tax collectors and the BCC.

If members neither want nor have time to shoulder their explicit statutory responsibilities in full, they need to go. When they volunteered, they implicitly stated that they had the time, inclination, and ability to undertake and discharge that oversight. If this latter is not true, they should resign or be fired. While the Audit Report did not disclose evidence of overwhelming improprieties as in Okaloosa’s TDC, it did reveal improprieties which should have been noted by Advisory Council members and in turn reported to the BCC. There is no evidence that the Advisory Council properly did its job in this regard.

Since these members failed to prevent or even note the financial irregularities noted in the audit and continue to fail to properly discharge their duties, I’d urge that the BCC dismiss and replace those Advisory Council members who served during the period covered by the audit. Mr. Bagby, Commissioner Meadows, other members of the BCC, the TDC, the bed tax collectors, and, most of all, the citizens of this county deserve better.

Don Riley, M.D.
President, Walton County Taxpayers’ Association
Miramar Beach, FL 32550

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
TDC Council Members

Cindy Meadows
Seat 1
Term Expires Nov. 2015

Maurice D. Gilbert
Seat 2
Term Expires Nov. 2014

Tim Norris - Chairperson
Seat 3
Term Expires Nov. 2016

Amy Wise- Coble
Seat 4
Term Expires Nov. 2016

Carol Pauls
Seat 5
Term Expires Nov. 2014

Richard Veldman
Seat 6
Term Expires Nov. 2014

Scott Russell
Seat 7
Term Expires Nov. 2016

Gus Andrews
Seat 8
Term Expires Nov. 2014

Pam Avera
Seat 9
Term expires Nov. 2016

For more infomation about the Advisory Council please contact Michele Ray at 850-267-1216 ormichele@visitsouthwalton.com.

Download: TDC Advisory Council Application FINAL

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
It has been proven time and time again that private companies do a better job than government in almost everything. The TDC is a government agency. Why not find an effective PR firm to market Walton County? I'd like for a petition to circulate calling for the elimination of the TDC. Better still, Use bed tax money for something really useful like better maintenance and public facilities and perhaps cut the bed tax. I think the 26 miles of beaches sells itself.

Request that the dissolution of the TDC be added to their agenda.

Anyone from the public who has items to present to the TDC Council, must complete the Agenda Submission Form by the deadline. Download: agenda submission TDC advisory

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Request that the dissolution of the TDC be added to their agenda.

Anyone from the public who has items to present to the TDC Council, must complete the Agenda Submission Form by the deadline. Download: agenda submission TDC advisory

I have a question. From what I read here, in order to address the TDC council, I must submit a submission form. Is there no open time for comments from those in attendance as there is at the BCC meetings? If not, there should be. Many times at BCC meetings items come up and statements are made that one wishes to comment on at that time. The same courtesy should be offered to those attending TDC council meetings if it already isn't.