• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

TDC Confiscated Kayak

New posts

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
This morning the TDC confiscated a kayak from the Dogwood St. access in Seagrove. :angry:
I'll take a picture of the sign about leaving things on the beach later and see if I can post it, but it does not adequately warn peeps, IMHO. I seriously doubt the owner had a clue.
The owner's name is on the kayak so I suppose if they call the TDC they can find out where to retrieve it? :idontno:
In fact, I may take a few other pictures also that show some of the reasons why I think the TDC needs new leadership and the sooner the better.
 
I would love to see a picture of the sign and hear your argument about what part of "no items left overnight on the beach" is unclear.

The owner can call the TDC and reclaim the kayak.

I know it sucks to have your kayak confiscated, but IMO it sucks even more that we have to spend $$ to pick up after people and keep the beaches clean.
 
I can understand keeping the beaches clear for safety reasons and turtle nesting, which starts in MAY. People leave the hard to tote items on the beach to use the following day, usually folks that are here for a weekend/week. Beach tents should be dismantled, but a kayak? Was it at the dune line?
 
I agree with seagrovegirl.
When posting say for a "no parking" zone it is common practice to also post a phone number for retrieving your car when it gets towed. That's pretty clear about the consequences if you park there anyway. If I were a tourist unfamiliar with the area, I might just assume my kayak was stolen and go home unhappy.
Last year the TDC was making a distinction between "public" and "private" walkovers. I don't know if they are still doing that this year, but last year I pointed out a big pile of discarded chairs and other stuff that they refused to pick up because it was at a "private" walkover. It sat there literally for months, about ten feet away from a "public" walkover. This has got to be confusing to anyone who doesn't live here.
I'm not sure the term "beach" is adequate either. You would think it ought to be perfectly clear, but how about it you saw that pile of junk I referred to sitting at the dune line? Would you think, well, the dune line must be the end of the beach, or would you think, well, this is clearly a "private" walkover and different rules must apply here?
 
And what if a catamaran gets left on the beach? You see that all the time in the summer. The one TDC guy and his pickup can't remove that. So maybe he tags it so the owner understands that boats are included in the "items left on the beach." Maybe it doesn't get tagged right away, and I am a kayak owner who sees the cat sitting there, and I think boats are an exception. So then the TDC comes by, tags the cat and removes my kayak.
I think they could have done a much better job with the signage. I also think the way they went about enforcing the rule last year created lots of opportunities for confusion.
 
I'll make it very easy so we can clear up any confusion:

DON'T LEAVE YOUR STUFF ON THE BEACH!!!

Seriously, would you leave stuff unattended in a city park for hours or days and expect it to be there when you got back? :idontno:

I don't know when it became such a chore for people to pick up after themselves and show a little courtesy for nature and other users. :angry:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top