• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Anyone get their latest trim notice?

If we keep last year's budget I lower my tax burden $10, but if they adopt the proposed budget my taxes go up $25.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Anyone get their latest trim notice?

If we keep last year's budget I lower my tax burden $10, but if they adopt the proposed budget my taxes go up $25.
Just got ours out of the mailbox. If we keep last year's budget, ours will lower by $975. If we adopt the proposed budget, ours will lower ours by $91.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just got ours out of the mailbox. If we keep last year's budget, ours will lower by $975. If we adopt the proposed budget, ours will lower ours by $91.

Either way you get a decrease.

Aren't we all thrilled that Mosquito Control has to raise their budget to cover a new building? One that two commissioners ran on the platform we didn't need. Now we're paying top dollar and higher interest rates. One of them has moved on to her position as County Commissioner.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Either way you get a decrease.

Aren't we all thrilled that Mosquito Control has to raise their budget to cover a new building? One that two commissioners ran on the platform we didn't need. Now we're paying top dollar and higher interest rates. One of them has moved on to her position as County Commissioner.
I'm interested to hear how others' property taxes might change. It's always been a mystery to me how they decide one property goes up in value and another goes down.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm interested to hear how others' property taxes might change. It's always been a mystery to me how they decide one property goes up in value and another goes down.

There's a very complicated formula they use, but it's generally based off sales in a specific area. Some folks saw massive increases because they lived in a neighborhood or on a street that hasn't seen much development in the last 20 years. Now all of a sudden a house is built next door that sells for 500k. That amount is weight averaged with your value.

Luckily non homesteaded homes are capped at a 10% increase per year and homesteaded homes are limited to 3% in increase of assessed value.

There are also additional ways to lower your taxes for age, widower status, active military duty, veterans status and I believe disability.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
During a public hearing held Monday evening at the Walton County Courthouse, the Commission voted to lower taxes for Walton County residents. Given the current economic conditions, a tax break will provide Walton County property owners with relief and help struggling families throughout the county.

Chief Financial Officer Melissa Thomason discussed numerous items relating to the proposed 2023-2024 budget and millage rate. Commissioner Tony Anderson urged the other commissioners to fund a budget increase for the Economic Development Alliance (EDA), which is tasked with attracting new businesses and industry to Walton County.

He reminded the board that the EDA has helped create business parks that attracted many new companies and brought hundreds of jobs to this area. The agency was instrumental in helping to establish the Mossy Head Industrial Park, which has been an astounding success.

However, as Commissioner Anderson noted, “One man can only do so much.” The EDA has been a one-man organization since its inception and Director Uriah Matthews said his plan is to fill two positions, which will make the agency more robust and effective in its efforts to attract new industry to Walton County. After discussion, the board voted unanimously to increase EDA funding, which also increased the proposed budget from $317+million up to $318,071,593 with a millage rate of 3.6363.

It was at this point that Board Chairman Danny Glidewell proposed lowering the millage rate from 3.6363 down to 3.60, which will reduce the amount of ad valorem taxes that residents will pay. This represents the first tax cut in 10 years and Commissioner Glidewell said later that he was very pleased that the board had approved the tax cut unanimously. Glidewell said his fellow board members should be congratulated for cutting taxes, even while the Walton County Sheriff’s Office budget increased due to the need for a new $30 million-dollar communications system.

Glidewell also noted that the county had absorbed more than a 14% increase in their annual insurance premium, which they did not pass on to staff. Despite this, the board was able to give staff a raise, which included bringing some staff member salaries up to a level competitive with similar positions in neighboring counties.

County Administrator Quinn Robertson later said that the board’s actions demonstrated their commitment to the citizens, as well as compassion for the hardworking county staff who, like everyone, are also struggling during this difficult economy.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
An economy so difficult that the BCC can lower the milage rate and still increase the budget. At least aren't taking direct credit for the tax decrease they did nothing to help other than approve everything that comes across the table.