• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Nonpartisan elections

WHO CAN VOTE: All registered voters in Walton County.

WHAT?S NEXT: Winner of each race takes office.

District 2

Faye Leddon

Residence: Glendale.

Key experience: Previous business owner.

Q. Why are you running for the Walton County School Board?

With four grandchildren, two of whom are already in the school system, I have a vested interest in wanting to see that our county continues to prosper and our children have the proper skills and training to succeed in life.

Q. Are you satisfied with the progress the school district has been making on students? FCAT scores? Why or why not?

Yes, I am satisfied with the scores of our county. However, there is always room for improvement. I do not believe the progress of any school district or child should be based on a one-day test. I would like each child tested individually and taught at his or her level.

Q. What do you see as a major issue facing the school district, and how would you address it?

The budget is the biggest issue facing the school district. I would work with the other board members and administration as a team and look at expenses and adjust accordingly. I would also represent the school district in Tallahassee to ensure Walton County receives all monies we are entitled to.

Zane Sunday

Residence: DeFuniak Springs.

Key experience: 38 years as a classroom teacher and administrator (30 years in Walton County).

Public education is the cornerstone of our democracy, and my concern for public education, especially in Walton County, demands that I offer myself as a candidate for the Walton County School Board. My 38 years of experience as a teacher and administrator will bring invaluable knowledge to the board table.

Q. Are you satisfied with the progress the school district has been making on students? FCAT scores? Why or why not?

I?ll never be completely satisfied with our FCAT scores until every child is performing at his/her ability level. However, I?m proud that Walton County has been and continues to be an ?A? school district. We have also been designated a high-achieving school district by the State Board of Education.

Q. What do you see as a major issue facing the school district, and how would you address it?

The budget continues to be the major concern of the school district. With the economic downturn in our economy and decreasing property values, we are facing some serious challenges. Increasing millage rates should not be a consideration. Instead, the board will have to look for creative ways to cut costs.

District 3

Bill Eddins Jr.

Key experience: Classroom teacher and administrator. Business owner prior to teaching.

I entered the education field from the business world because I felt I could make a difference to our children?s lives. I have been a small business owner, classroom teacher and school administrator, and have the qualifications and experience necessary to make tough, independent decisions in our children?s best interest.

Some improvements have been made, and additional improvements can always be made in any situation. All students are capable of learning, although we all learn in different ways and not all students test well on a given day. However, standardized tests do not always accurately measure progress of a student.

The budget ? as a principal at Walton Academy we successfully operated on a very small budget, and tough decisions had to be made to carry money forward and raise student achievement, which we accomplished. A line-by-line analysis is needed to determine where improvements can be made to the current budget.

Sharon Byrd Roberts

Key experience: School district bookkeeping experience. Master Board Certified.

I love Walton County and its children! I have a vested interest in Walton County as a lifetime resident, taxpayer, mother and former school bookkeeper. Walton County should be represented at home and in Tallahassee. I have represented you as the legislative liaison and would appreciate the opportunity to continue.

I am satisfied with the FCAT scores our students have been making. There is always room for improvement, but I think Walton County is blessed with very hard-working students and staff.

The district is facing tough economic times. I will and have addressed this concern by being conservative with your tax dollars. I have never voted to increase your taxes. I believe as a community we must all be conservative and work together to face the difficult days ahead.

District 5

Darrell Barnhill

Residence: Miramar Beach.

Key experience: 30 years of public service. Current School Board member.

To continue to raise student achievement by providing necessary resources to the classroom teacher; also, during this difficult budget period, ensure that full funding is provided to our special-needs children.

Yes, but we must continue with our FCAT improvement plan. For example, in 2005 75 percent of our fourth-graders were writing on grade level. Today, 92 percent of our fourth-graders write on grade level. In 2005, 81 percent of our eighth-graders were writing on grade level. Today, it?s 97 percent.

Budgets ? our district budget is a reflection of our family budgets. Both have been reduced to the point we are having to do more with less. Raising taxes is not an option during this recession period. Our challenge is to ensure the majority of each dollar goes to the classroom teacher.

Dennis Wallace

Residence: Santa Rosa Beach.

Key experience: Business ownership and banking.

I am running for the School Board because I sincerely believe that I can make a positive difference, not only on the board but ultimately in the lives of all Walton County students. My business management and bank board background give me a perspective that is lacking on the present board.

Pleased, but not satisfied. Being satisfied implies no further effort. There are 67 counties in Florida ? someone has to be No. 67 and someone has to be No. 1. I will be satisfied when Walton County is No. 1.

The major issue in Walton County is reductions in tax revenues caused by falling property values. The budget must be examined line by line and all expenditures justified. In addition, all potential sources of non-public revenue such as corporate grants, etc. must be actively investigated and sought.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks for posting the info!

Please people- this school board race is important. Three out of five seats are open, one school board member retired, so that race has 2 new candidates (district 2), and the other 2 districts have incumbents running.

The first part of this video really helped us make our decision. All candidates introduce themselves and speak for a few minutes.

Sandestin Voters and Walton County Taxpayers Assoc.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for posting the info!

Please people- this school board race is important. Three out of five seats are open, one school board member retired, so that race has 2 new candidates (district 2), and the other 2 districts have incumbents running.

The first part of this video really helped us make our decision. All candidates introduce themselves and speak for a few minutes.

Sandestin Voters and Walton County Taxpayers Assoc.

OK, so I watched the introductions. What stood out to you? None of their responses seemed eye-opening.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Just read this week's DeFuniak Herald/Beach Breeze.

THANK YOU Dennis Wallace for being the ONLY school board race winner who did NOT run a 'thank you" ad highlighting a partisan leaning in a NON-PARTISAN race. (I am interested to hear the local Tea Party's take on school board issues since they "supported" Leddon and Roberts, according to ads ran by both.)

Good grief- is it really necessary to politicize the school board race? I guess it is in Walton County, and I must be naive to hope otherwise.