• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Pholiday

Beach Crab
Sep 2, 2022
Florida
I'll try to be as brief as possible and would love some conversation and sage advice from locals.

We are under contract for 10 acres in SRB on Indian Woman Road. (Of course) there are wetlands present, AE and small amt in X flood zone, and the all the things we won't know until we start to pull permits to build. We have already started conversations/gotten proposals with environmental consultants, and have done the due dillegence for the process with Fla DEP and zoning that we can do for the moment.

We are on the I10 as I type, three boys, one dog and two people who met and fell in love when we both worked there in our first jobs out of college 20 years ago. I was the government beat reporter in South Walton County for the Walton Sun (a relic now but dearest to my soul)! We have never lost our love for the people and places of SoWal and LA in general and vacation here almost every year (these days in a pop up camper.)

We plan to walk as much of the property as we can this weekend. We are lower middle class working folks who sold our two investment properties - which had been our sweat and blood and every ounce of capital from the last decade -- and have frugally saved to gain as much cash as possible to return to the place we've always called our home.

We plan to bootstrap the build. Our plan is for two modest 1500 sq ft "barndominium" steel buildings (they are sold as a kit, to wind/hurricane standards) attached together, one side as a mother in law suite. We will need contractors for the foundation, plumbing, electric, and a host of other items.

We are buying the property with intent to develop only 3 acres and leave nature for the rest. We love and respect all that is South Walton and praying to raise our boys with land to romp, and where we feel home.

We have a good amount on construction knowledge, having GCed our projects in Wilmington NC. And plan to hire out the above and finish it ourselves. We would close end of November and move into an RV on our land in January to see and do all aspects of the development and building.

We would love to hear your thoughts and advice. This is by far the largest risk we've ever taken, we are acutely aware of the vast wealth and resources majority of folks have that build in the area, but that's definitely not us.

We feel beyond blessed to even have the opportunity live on this estate property that has been untouched for 30 years (we have actively searched for 3 years). But we are also keenly aware of the intense devotion, and cash, this endeavor will take.

Any advice, speculation on permitting process or cost on it (we have talked to zoning and budgeted it, but people who've forged the path generally know best), on Indian Woman Road, on anything, heck even to tell us we are insane and give us the reasons that this is the biggest mistake of our lives!

Thank you in advance for your time, your knowledge and experiences.

Warmly,
Pasha

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Welcome back!

Planning should be your first stop and lay all of this out. They will give you in the right direction, but you should be good as long as the neighbors don't get uppity. Things have changed we have uppity people on Indian Woman Rd now.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
You're in for a fun time. Just remember you're on SoWal time now. Take it easy and go with the flow. Enjoy native plants and wildlife.