• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
A temporary sign has been placed on the south side of 30A adjacent Western Lake just off the bike path. The sign announces the lake, shows a map, and gives a brief description of the lakes. Please take a look at this sign and send us your comments as we are collecting opinions on the sign design, etc. in anticipation of manufacturing and placing like kind signs at the other coastal dune lakes. The TDC, Walton County, the Coastal Dune Lake Advisory Board, and Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance are all involved in this project.

County Commissioners:
District 1-Bill Chapman chabill@co.walton.fl.us 835-4860
District 2-Kenneth Pridgen prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us 834-6328
District 3-Bill Imfeld imfbill@co.walton.fl.us 892-8474
District 4-Sara Comander comsara@co.walton.fl.us 835-4834
District 5-Cindy Meadows meacindy@co.walton.fl.us 231-2978

_KRL0759-sowal-2000.jpg

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm trying not to sound like a curmudgeon, but, do we really need a sign to describe a lake? What's next, signs describing trees and birds? Part of the magic of this place is exploring it and discovering it, not reading a placard about it. This was my first impression, then I softened a little bit about it, but now that they are thinking about more signs, I just think this is too much intrusion on a place that needs to stay as natural as we can keep it.

It was so refreshing to be in Hilton Head and not see a lot of signs -- no rental agency signs, no for sale signs, etc. And the signs are that are there are consistent in style and smaller. I think there are too many signs in SoWal.

In the sign it looks like there's text and photos held down screwed-in plexiglass at an angle. Won't rain ruin it in a short amount of time, even if it's laminated? Or is the text and photos actually printed on an impervious surface?

The photos are beautiful. But why do visitors need a photo that they can actually see with their own eyes?

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Will they all require a picture of the lake in front of the sign so as to keep tourists from confusing the sign for a puddle they are standing in?

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Another case of the County wasting money. Ranks up there with "The Song".

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I like the sign and think it is a good idea to educate visitors. My only concern is its durability. Far better than those horrid blue things or the cheap looking green street signs for lakes.