• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Yard Creatures

New posts
CopyofDSC01122.JPG

Wow! Beautiful bird! Great pic seacrestkristi. :clap:
 
OMG. I got the heebie jeebies from the snake pictures. Please be careful. You're awfully close to those.
 
OMG. I got the heebie jeebies from the snake pictures. Please be careful. You're awfully close to those.
I was much closer to the snake when I almost stepped on it. :yikes: Did that to a Black Racer (snake) a couple of weeks ago. I should really start drinking my coffee PRIOR to walking the dogs.
 
Well, I had a baby coyote in my yard around 5 pm today.
Grabbed the camera, but the battery was dead. :roll:

He's been doing woogie woogie play in my next door neighbors yard.
Apparently the coyotes have a den close by (she borders State Forest Preserve) and he keeps wondering away from it. I am assuming this is the same coyote. Last night only one howl, so maybe the family moved on without him.

I've been here 14 years and I have heard them howling from afar occassionally, but all summer long, it has sounded like they are right in my yard.

I am a little skeered. Not sure if this young un has a loose fruitloop, or maybe my neighbor has been feeding it.
 
Last edited:
Don't be too skeered, Mango. You're still bigger than the coyote.

Seacrestkristi, do you happen to know what kind of bird that is in your very cool picture? I just saw one of those on Sunday and I wonder if they are migrating through Florida down south or something.

We found a cute baby lizard one day:
IMG_2271.jpg


And a gopher tortoise (which had been wandering through construction, I think her habitat had been disturbed, I let her go in the undeveloped land across the street from us, I know I'm not supposed to mess with her but I let her go in the direction she was headed, I just got her through the vehicles)
IMG_2357.jpg

This anole lives in my favorite fern.
IMG_2834.jpg
 
Thanks Rita. I thought it looked like a finch but wasn't sure. :D

Cil, sweet baby lizard pix. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mangy, did ya get your batteries charged up so you can catch the baby coyote for us? :clap:

How close were ya to that snake SJ? :eek: or did you use a telephoto lens? :cool: shot.
 
How close were ya to that snake SJ? :eek: or did you use a telephoto lens? :cool: shot.
I didn't have time to change lenses, and the telephoto was on the camera, so I used it. I was probably no closer than 5 ft, which is about the minimum focal distance for that lens, when I took the photo, and the morning was cool, so the snake wasn't moving very fast. If it had been in the day time, I would have never had the chance to take the photo.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top