• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Yard Creatures

New posts
Thanks Rita--I assume it is a female? That's such a great shot, Seacrestkristi.
I saw a flock of goldfinches at my feeder *one single time* in Colorado, then never saw them again the entire time I lived there.
Maybe now I'll get to seem them more often.

I saw an armadillo last week, but did not have my camera handy.
He was a bit larger than I thought they were-- but then it was the first one I'd ever seen that was not squished on the road.
 
Love the shots Cil, SJ, and Kristi. My favorite though is the turtle with the cat. :lol: :clap:

Cil, I am not skeered of the coyote for me, but my cats do their business outside, so I am nervous for them. If this coyote has no fear of coming this close to the homes, he could become a problem.
They do have an escape door on the garage and their claws too, but one is old and fat.

If I see him again, IBD, I have the charged battery in the camera. ;-)
 
Cil, I am not skeered of the coyote for me, but my cats do their business outside, so I am nervous for them. If this coyote has no fear of coming this close to the homes, he could become a problem.
They do have an escape door on the garage and their claws too, but one is old and fat.

If I see him again, IBD, I have the charged battery in the camera. ;-)
That is definitely something to worry about!
::sending safe kitty vibes::
Would love to see a pic, though.
 
Speaking of yard creatures, I don't know about you guys, but I see at least 3-5 deer eating grass on the roadsides every night. I am amazed at how rare it is to see a dead one on the side of the road. I never hear of people running into them around here. Where I grew up, the deer would throw themselves at your windshield.
 
Speaking of yard creatures, I don't know about you guys, but I see at least 3-5 deer eating grass on the roadsides every night. I am amazed at how rare it is to see a dead one on the side of the road. I never hear of people running into them around here. Where I grew up, the deer would throw themselves at your windshield.

I hit a doe last fall on 30A, just west of Western Lake, before you get to the state park entrance. It was just about dusk and there was a lot of traffic. She darted out between me and a eastbound pickup and almost made it across.

I still don't like to drive to Grayton in the evening. The trip to Hurricane Oyster for dinner tonight, for instance...

It scares the ever-loving S**t out of me to drive back from the PC airport in the evening after a shower. The deer are all along 98 grazing on the newly wet grass. It's not unusual to see 10 or 15.
 
Speaking of yard creatures, I don't know about you guys, but I see at least 3-5 deer eating grass on the roadsides every night. I am amazed at how rare it is to see a dead one on the side of the road. I never hear of people running into them around here. Where I grew up, the deer would throw themselves at your windshield.

When I drove down for the Seaside Half Marathon in March, I lost count of all the deer I saw. They were just south of Atlanta off I-85, all along 431, 231, and 331. On the side of the road, in the median, at the Cracker Barrel, driving big SUVs...(okay, maybe I imagined some of them.)

Saw two deer on the way to school this morning, which is about average. My route to Demorest is through the backwoods and pig trails, so that's not so surprising. I see about one dead one on the side of the road for every dozen that I see crossing the road. The road is really curvy, so it makes me a little nervous at night; the weight ratio between a large deer and my tiny car is not so great.

Dead skunks are increasingly common, which is unpleasant in a convertible! It's not unusual to see a coyote in the fields, either.

The crazy thing is that I saw 5 deer in the city of Gainesville (in Hop's parents' neighborhood, to be precise!) I see more and more foxes and groundhogs in the city, too, dead and alive.
 
Last edited:
Copyofporcupinebabies.jpg

Hey Daddy-O, when you get a minute if it's not too much of a PIA will you please delete my above link. ;-) I was tryin' to show this pix. :wub: :wave: Thanks.
 
Last edited:
That just ain't right. :shock:
 
Last edited:
Copyofporcupinebabies.jpg

Hey Daddy-O, when you get a minute if it's not too much of a PIA will you please delete my above link. ;-) I was tryin' to show this pix. :wub: :wave: Thanks.

There are no words....look at those tiny little toes! I love and fear those little critters all at the same time.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top