• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
The Humane Society of Bay County has just changed from a kill shelter to a NO KILL shelter :clap_1:. The facility now qualifies for monies but she's got no experience writing grants so they need help writing grants if anyone has it. Any other help or support would be a great too.

The have lots of extra cat food it any volunteers of feed and trap programs need food.

If anyone needs help transporting an animal to the shelter, email me and would be happy to assist. They're info is:

The Humane Society of Bay County
1600 Bay Avenue,
Panama City, FL 32405
Ph: 850-763-3923
Cell 850-774-3444
Fax 850-763-3925
Exec. Director: Karen Pouncey

Help her out in any way you can. Thanks :love:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
:clap_1:

Now we have to stop the Walton County Animal Control. I went to the website and how sad.....They get only 7 days and then it is over :sosad:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
InletBchDweller said:
Here is the link to the Walton County Animal Control...Is there not something we can do???:dunno:

http://www.co.walton.fl.us/default.asp?id=29

The only thing I know that we can do is hook up with some of the various breed rescues and pull out ones that have rescues that will take them. I would like to work on getting together a list of various rescues and see if they will take them if we pull them out. Do you have any time to help? We can only do what we can do but something is better than nothing. Those places really depress me but we could have them call us if a breed comes in that we can transfer to the rescue.

Just so it's clear: Bay County Humane Society (not Animal Control) is a NO KILL shelter.

Walton County Animal control is a High Kill Shelter!

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
The dogs and cats here in Memphis at the animal shelter got only three days and then they are euthanized. At least that is what I heard. I totally refuse to go in the place. But now there is a no-kill shelter here. It is called Sunny Meadows Safe Haven. They need to shut down the animal shelter here. I know those dogs and cats need homes also but I would go in there and want them all. That is the problem. And I know their fate! It sickens me! Someone would just have to bring me one out!

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
been here done this dosent work - stupid humans

hey, if everybody spayed and neutered then there would be no problem

either spay and neuter or be spayed or neutered or have your child snatched up and put in the pound with the threat of lethal injection in a week unless the parents spay and neuter!

works for me

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I don't want to generalize, but in many areas of Walton County (such as where my in-laws live), dogs are lucky to get vaccinated properly, much less spayed or neutered. Cats don't get taken to the vet at all. I am not certain that the humane society even has a microchip reader. Sick animals are euthanized by a .22 rifle. :eek:

On the other hand, my inlaws think I spend far too much on my pets. And, I do. ;-)

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
ladydebubba60 said:
The dogs and cats here in Memphis at the animal shelter got only three days and then they are euthanized. At least that is what I heard. I totally refuse to go in the place. But now there is a no-kill shelter here. It is called Sunny Meadows Safe Haven. They need to shut down the animal shelter here. I know those dogs and cats need homes also but I would go in there and want them all. That is the problem. And I know their fate! It sickens me! Someone would just have to bring me one out!

I know how you feel lady. It's so sad to go in those places and I think our sentiment is pretty widespread among true animal lovers which is sad because if they were able to go in there, at least one might get saved. I know a lot of them are now bringing them to petsmart or malls which is great because the "kill" environment is removed for a short while and people see them. I hate this so much and don't know what to do except just a small part of whatever I can to educate, help transport and save a few.

Euthanasia with a bullet :pissed: . That just ticks me off and what kind of people can do a job like that? It breaks my heart to think my little Sunshine was one day away from being put down. What a waste! She brings me such joy and there are so many others.

My personal thoughts arethat the AKC and the notion of superiority of purebreds should be abolished. So many times I hear people proudly tell me that their pet is AkC registered. So what? They aren't superior, MANY times overbred or bred for traits or a size that make them have later problems in life. And for every AKC bred dog, another one dies :sosad:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am a huge fan of no-kill shelters- I got my 2 dogs from one. However, not all dogs and cats can be adopted out safely and economically- it is a sad fact. Many animals that come in are too sick or injured to make it financially smart to "fix" them, and once they are healed, may prove unadoptable after all. Many animals are dangerous (vicious or feral) and therefore, unadoptable.

Unfortunately, many shelters that are actually well-run and responsible get the "kill" label pasted on them, which is not really fair to the shelters and animal controls that do the best job they can given the unpleasant circumstances. Our shelter does a great job at marketing and adoptions and many many animals are placed through them. I have seen a few dogs come into the clinic that I would consider very bad risks, but the owners thought they were "cute" and the no-kill shelters were determined to adopt every animal that came through the door, even lying about the animals. In some cases, thousands of dollars in medical bills or several bitten children later, cute was wearing off.

This is one of those issues where at first glance, we all say "Sure! We need to save ALL these dogs and cats", but the realities need to be addressed. Some shelters that are overly "passionate" sometimes do more harm than good to their cause by adopting out animals that have too many problems, and many of them are dumped somewhere down the road- they are worse off than before now.

Bottom line- spay and neuter, and tell anyone you know with unaltered animals to do the same. If they can't pay, and you can, offer. It could save some animal lives down the road, and prevent cancers in the animals down the road too.

If your community is still using .22 rifles, that is outrageous. The shelters out around Louisville that were doing that ended up getting some money for humane euthanasia after the public went nuts - local new stations went around filming the shootings. It worked, but I am sure it still happens out in the state too often.

Keep up with your pets' shots. If your animal bites someone, and the shots rabies vax is overdue, it is such a hassle for everyone.

If you are adopting, spend some time with your "pick" before taking him home. We were back and forth several times with ours, watching how they interacted with the staff, our kids, other dogs, looking for aggressive tendencies, etc. Good shelters will follow up with you and offer support if you are having any problems once you get home.

Just my .02......and on a positive note, we do see many more happy endings than sad ones. It is just the sad ones that are memorable.:sosad: Hopefully the community will rally aropund Cork's friend and make the Bay County shelter a fantastic place to adopt a dog or cat!

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Thanks for your input Djarg. I do agree that not all pets are adoptable. We had a couple pits in NOLA that we had to sedate to walk or feed them. Clearly they had to be put down (thanks to some a$$holes who made them that way). When they picked up Sunshine from the shelter, her papers said she was vicious. Anyone who knows her know this was not the case. She has 5 teeth and was scared to death so I think a lot of responsibility falls on the people at the shelter and each one is different!

Shallows, are you sure about this rifle thing. How can I confirm? I will definitely get the word out and try to get some attention so it's stopped. My god, the animal could be in agony until it expires. The thought makes me cringe and I just want to cry.