• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
We went to the November show at the base last year. That was my first one, and we had a blast.

I've thought that the best way to see the one at the beach might be to rent a condo there the night before, so you don't have to deal with the traffic before and after. Anybody tried that?

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It's worth going to see it at least once, even though the traffic is pretty bad and the back route through Navarre Beach is still closed.

Schedule is up here:

http://www.visitpensacolabeach.com/what/airshowschedule.asp

Go early with a big old cooler of cold beverages.

Are you serious? You can't go across the toll bridge at Navarre and drive to Pcola Beach?

All that said, the best way to watch this show is a)from a boat in the water, or b) go on Friday for the practice show.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The coast road got wiped out during Ivan, they rebuilt it in the winter of 2004-05, and a week after it reopened, it promptly got wiped out again by Hurricane Dennis. They've taken their time with a new road in that area because they were trying to come up with a way of rebuilding it again that made it less vulneable to storm surge problems without it being as expensive as it would be to set up underground armoring like they've got on US 98 across Okaloosa Island.

It's finally supposed to open all the way through again sometime this fall, Insha'Allah and the storm surge don't rise again.

Gypsea

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA; Watercolor
The one event that I would always take my kids out of school for was to see the Blue Angels during June Week at the Naval Academy. Now my kids are grown and have their own children. Last year my husband and my son took his children to see the Blue Angels practice in P'cola. My son was blown away by watching the show while standing on the runway. He said it was even more impressive than seeing them fly over the Severn River in Annapolis. As a warning though, it was VERY loud for young children. For them it would be better to watch the show from the water. ;-)

jamie

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2007
i have always wanted to see them, but just never have made it...probably has something to do with the thought of all that traffic! maybe one day i will make it to see the show.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
i have always wanted to see them, but just never have made it...probably has something to do with the thought of all that traffic! maybe one day i will make it to see the show.

I found the traffic for the November show at the base last year not too bad. We stacked up for about 30 minutes on the way in as they filled the parking lot. We got there about an hour before the show, so we deserved that for waiting so late. After the show, we walked around and looked at the exhibits for about 30 minutes, then drove straight out with no delay.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Have a friend who lives on the Pensacola Beach...reported that today was absolutely nuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ixX...12/NEWS01/80712038&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

PHOTO GALLERY: http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ga...NEWS01&ArtNo=807120803&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=1

Lightning shocks 4 at beach; Blues show is Sunday

At least four people at Pensacola Beach have been hit by lightning, and the Blue Angels show has been rescheduled for today.

Six more patients have also been treated for other injuries at Baptist Gulf Breeze Hospital.

"Debris was flying, so that may be the cause of some of the injuries," said Candy McGuyre, hospital spokeswoman. "It doesn't appear that any of the injuries are life-threatening."

At least three people on the beach and one person on a boat were hit during a pop-up thunderstorm, Sheriff Ron McNesby said. The extent of their injuries was not immediately available.

About an hour after the show was canceled, a fight erupted at Cap'n Fun's, a Portofino Boardwalk bar. Two people had been arguing over a damaged boat at Quietwater Beach.

Though several people got into the pushing and shoving, two were arrested, an Escambia County Sheriff's deputy said.

Several lightning strikes were reported at the beach. Emergency dispatchers began directing ambulances to various areas, but traffic and the parking situation hampered their efforts.

Meanwhile, people huddled under tents and umbrellas along the beach as the storm moved through.

Traffic flow was barely moving, and at least one minor accident was reported.

Last edited: