• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I'd guess three factors:

1. PNS has an actual discount carrier-AirTran. VPS doesn't, and the discount carriers tend to push down overall prices in a market.

2. VPS has some moderate scarcity issues. New routes have to be approved by the Air Force, and only get approved if they don't impact Eglin's primary mission. They generally do approve, but it's a layer of bureaucracity that does discourage new flights on existing routes a bit, keeps capacity a bit down, and leads to higher occupancy rates on more flights (and carriers feeling less like they need to discount to fill seats.)

3. Higher percentage of business travelers than PNS or PCB. If they're getting full fares from enough of those people, then less incentive to discount restriced tickets.

Joe Complete

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2004
Taxahassee FL/Watercolor
zman said:
Where is the new airport going to be located?

On the Northwest side of the bay. Here is a map.

BayCountyMap-large.jpg

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Buckhead Rick said:
Does anyone know the proposed route of the limited access hwy from the new airport to Watersound north?

No, but it may follow the existing jeep trail, unless they cross the Intercoastal Waterway. I think the existing name of that jeep trail is "Side Camp Road."

drivingtheview

Beach Lover
Oct 17, 2005
How will the Watersound north limited access highway to/fro the new airport be limited? Will you have to have a Watersound and/or St. Joe car decal? I too assume it will follow the existing jeep trail. Crossing the intercoastal has been discussed in the past. The permitting and cost makes a bridge over the intercoastal virtually impossible for anyone except St. Joe. I think there will be a bridge over the intercoastal one day, just not in the forseeable future. Sorry for the lack of graphics. I enjoy reading and have never posted.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
drivingtheview said:
How will the Watersound north limited access highway to/fro the new airport be limited? Will you have to have a Watersound and/or St. Joe car decal? I too assume it will follow the existing jeep trail. Crossing the intercoastal has been discussed in the past. The permitting and cost makes a bridge over the intercoastal virtually impossible for anyone except St. Joe. I think there will be a bridge over the intercoastal one day, just not in the forseeable future. Sorry for the lack of graphics. I enjoy reading and have never posted.

No graphic required....welcome aboard! Post often!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
drivingtheview said:

:welcome:

A lot of people assume it will be done.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
I heard that an official announcement will be coming out on the new airport in the next week or so? Does anyone know if this is true or just unfounded rumor? :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wetwilly said:
I heard that an official announcement will be coming out on the new airport in the next week or so? Does anyone know if this is true or just unfounded rumor? :dunno:

Since the beginning of the year, reports are that the final Yes or No vote will take place sometime in November '05. If approved at this meeting, I have heard that construction could begin as early as Dec '05. Completion is expected late 2008 or early 2009. I have not heard any changes from the aforementioned for a long time.