• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Did you know that the State of Florida requires the County Commission to roll back the millage rates to the level it would take to produce exactly the same revenue as last year? The BCC keeps bragging about rolling back millage (tiny, tiny rollbacks), but since they keep spending more money and upping our appraisals, the rollback doesn't translate to lower taxes - for anyone.

Everyone gets their TRIM notice, but I am not sure enough of us know what it means. It shows you what your taxes would be if the BCC spent exactly the same amount as last year, and then how much they will be if they get the budget they want.

If the BCC wants to spend more money than they did last year, they are required to label this as a Tax Increase (even if the millage rate is lower) and justify the additional spending.

This year, they appear to have just figured out projects to suck up the extra money, with no real plan.

For a general explanation of TRIM and the process the counties are required to go through:

http://www.myflorida.com/dor/property/trim/reg_workbook06.pdf

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
Did you know that the State of Florida requires the County Commission to roll back the millage rates to the level it would take to produce exactly the same revenue as last year? The BCC keeps bragging about rolling back millage (tiny, tiny rollbacks), but since they keep spending more money and upping our appraisals, the rollback doesn't translate to lower taxes - for anyone.

Everyone gets their TRIM notice, but I am not sure enough of us know what it means. It shows you what your taxes would be if the BCC spent exactly the same amount as last year, and then how much they will be if they get the budget they want.

If the BCC wants to spend more money than they did last year, they are required to label this as a Tax Increase (even if the millage rate is lower) and justify the additional spending.

This year, they appear to have just figured out projects to suck up the extra money, with no real plan.

For a general explanation of TRIM and the process the counties are required to go through:

http://www.myflorida.com/dor/property/trim/reg_workbook06.pdf

Exactly..right on the money.!! I think many on the BCC have lost sight of proper procedure and that there must be an inverse relationship of millage rate to property value. I don?t see that on my TRIM statement and have asked for a reduced property tax.
There is a concerted effort in Destiny West (Okaloosa county) to petition the commissioners to get real!!
They seem to be just trying to capitalize on the "rising" market values to rake in the dough. Damn the budget..full speed ahead.

seagull

Beach Crab
Sep 2, 2006
Seagrove
This is true with the school district as well. The board wanted the public to believe that they lowered the millage when it was mandated by the state. The budget meeting with them is tonight. There is so much cadilac spending with that group as well.