• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

admst34

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2006
We are coming to Destin the first week of November and I've seen other places in Florida have what they call a "Dolphin Experience" where you can basically swim with a few dolphins. Is there anywhere to do something like that in the Destin/SoWal area? I've seen Dolphin cruises where you can see them from a boat but not actually swim with them.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
We are coming to Destin the first week of November and I've seen other places in Florida have what they call a "Dolphin Experience" where you can basically swim with a few dolphins. Is there anywhere to do something like that in the Destin/SoWal area? I've seen Dolphin cruises where you can see them from a boat but not actually swim with them.
I believe there is a law against trying to approach Dolphins in the wild in this area. Perhaps at Gulf World (I think that is the name of it) over in PCB, one can do that, or at the Gulfarium on Okaloosa Island. :dunno:

barefootguy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
We swam with them. Well, at least for a momment. They come up to the boat, you climb in the water, they swim around you and then swim away. My sister and I had a mother and baby dolphin swim right under us. They keep their distance once you get in the water, but as soon as you get back in the boat they return.

I'm guessing that there are people that feed them, which is definitely wrong. My wife had her hand hanging off the side of the boat, and a dolphin came right up and almost bit her. We're guessing it thought she had food.

If you want to interact with the dolphins and touch them, you need to go to Gulf World.

admst34

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2006
Yeah I am definitely looking for something in a closed environment, not in the wild. Guld World sounds like my best bet I guess, I'll google that...thanks :clap_1:

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Yeah I am definitely looking for something in a closed environment, not in the wild. Guld World sounds like my best bet I guess, I'll google that...thanks :clap_1:

Gulf World is great. You can pay just to have an encounter...you get a short class...then you get to swim (in wetsuits) for about 20 - 30 minutes. You get to pet (rub) him or her, also get to swim out and they will swim by you, you grab the dorsil fin and pull you around the tank. The best part is sitting in the "love seat" where they will swim up to you and roll over in your lap for you to pet them. Our dolphin we swam with would not leave! She loved it!

The best is to do the trainer for a day program! You go around 8:30 and stay all day. It is a lot of funn. You work with the sea lions, penquins and the dolphin's. We learned a lot. You are also in the show that day:D

Last time we did it a guy brought his fiance on a road trip from Texas...blindfolded! Would not let her see where they were going. When they came in she was blindfolded, had no idea where she was. When he took off her blindfold she just broke down crying... I mean sobbing. All of her life she had wanted to this. It made us all cry.

So, to say the least, I highly recommend it.:clap_1:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I wanted to do this at Gulf World :sosad: , but MAN-go won't swim with dolphins that are as he says "held captive" and trained. I will have to either go with you BB or swim with them in an environment where they are free to come and go and not fed. I think they have a place in Barbados.

Last edited:

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
I wanted to do this at Gulf World :sosad: , but MAN-go won't swim with dolphins that are as he says "held captive" and trained. I will have to either go with you BB or swim with them in an environment where they are free to come and go and not fed. I think they have a place in Barbados.

:clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1: Do it with us! Let's go in November when you come for the HOA meeting:D

The dolphin we swam with was a rescue. He was sick when they got him and could not release him because he had an infection that would not clear up. He is only one of a couple of rough tooth dolphins in human care..that is what they call it anyway.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
:clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1: Do it with us! Let's go in November when you come for the HOA meeting:D

The dolphin we swam with was a rescue. He was sick when they got him and could not release him because he had an infection that would not clear up. He is only one of a couple of rough tooth dolphins in human care..that is what they call it anyway.

I thought that was the situation with the dolphins. :clap_1:
You're on if I make it down. I'll start practicing my dolphinese. :razz: