• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
Some frightening stats from the Mall of America website:
Did you know?

• 258 Statues of Liberty could lie inside the Mall
  • If Mount Rushmore was divided into individual monuments, a president could reside in each of the Mall's four courts
  • Mall of America is big enough to hold 32 Boeing 747s
  • Seven Yankee Stadiums can fit inside Mall of America
  • If a shopper spent 10 minutes browsing at every store, it would take them more than 86 hours to complete their visit to Mall of America
  • There is no sales tax on clothing in Minnesota

Hollibird

Beach Lover
There are crazy people out there who love to get a 'good deal'. and will travel here for the shopping. all I know is that the "Outlet Mall' is just as expensive as everywhere else. but I still can't wait for the Tommy Bahama restaurant in sandestin. mmmmm. Destin Commons is always packed when I go.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
There are crazy people out there who love to get a 'good deal'. and will travel here for the shopping. all I know is that the "Outlet Mall' is just as expensive as everywhere else. but I still can't wait for the Tommy Bahama restaurant in sandestin. mmmmm. Destin Commons is always packed when I go.

A Tommy Bahama restaurant? Do you have to dress in Tommy Bahama to go there?

Does branded food really taste better?:dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I believe this is the largest outlet mall in America, SJ. http://www.mallofamerica.com/ This is considered a "vacation destination". I know it seems like we are at the center of the world here but, really, there is a huge universe outside the Southeast everyone!
Does it really matter? The point is that people go shopping while at the beach. They sit in the Sun too much, get sunburned, then seek the releif of the shade. > Repeat.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
the largest outlet mall in the nation? do these people think i was born under a rock? hahaha! he seriously must think that nobody here travels at all.:rotfl:

in new jersey alone, there are at least 5 outlet malls larger than silver sands. http://www.harmonmeadow.com/pages/secaucusmap.html
(and better if you ask me!!)
and even the hundreds of cookie cutter outlet malls the dot the country like those from "the mills company" are larger than silver sands. http://www.themills.com/static/node80.jsp

so it's not the biggest or the best, but how can i even find the time to shope, when unlike other shopping centers around the country, there's nothing to do with your kids while you shop? there's no diversion for my 13 year old. even a bookstore!

it's not like other real malls or tourist places that have video arcades, skateparks, a movie theater or indoor sporting or other fun activities that will keep them busy. :bang:

as for the wave pool, sandestin actually sold most of their condos based on a model that showed a water park with a wave pool. of course, they pretended that was never promised after they sold all the condos! they still have the model at the soa office. i'm not sure why, unless it's to taunt people! :blink:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
We need things for kids to do here. I am amazed that no one has gone after this. Maybe rents are just too high to sustain a business that goes after that market. My wife and I have looked but I can not make the numbers work. The rental rates are too high.... $20 per sq foot plus just does not work for any kid based business:sosad: .

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
What our area really needs is a good kosher deli !! what do you guys do when you have a craving for a pastrami or corned beef on rye with a round potato knish and a kosher pickle ???? How about some good fresh made chopped chicken liver.....and ruggalah for dessert. Now thats good eatin !!:love:

p.s. i like pf changs.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What our area really needs is a good kosher deli !! what do you guys do when you have a craving for a pastrami or corned beef on rye with a round potato knish and a kosher pickle ???? How about some good fresh made chopped chicken liver.....and ruggalah for dessert. Now thats good eatin !!:love:

p.s. i like pf changs.
I have never craved a sandwich.