• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You are so right. Have you ever watched beach TV? There is a spot for Destin Commons, and the quote is something very similar to "The Emerald Coast is now recognozed as one of the country's most important shopping destinations"! This always sounded very strange to me...what the hell is important about shopping for what is mostly clutter, and who on Earth except the Paris Hilton types go on vacation to shop? And from what I can tell, it looks like they are building the same stores that you can find just about anywhere else. Funny story, last night we went to the French Quarter to watch the Christmas lights being lit in Jackson Square. We walked by a Pottery Barn store on the edge of the Quarter, and a lady in a group walking next to us proclaimed "Why would I go to a Pottery Barn in the French Quarter?". My thoughts exactly. :lol:

Somewhere, I have read that the "factory stores" in Sandestin are the USA's "largest outlet mall." I think Factory Stores and Outlet Mall are different. Outlet Malls, like you find on I-85 in Jefferson, GA (ENE of ATL), offer great prices. The Factory Stores at Sandestin rarely have a discount from what I have seen, except the NIKE store.

Who shops on vacation? Skunky, I want you to attempt to drive past the Factory Stores in Sandestin on a rainy day in June. :rotfl: When the rain comes, everyone goes to the Outlet Mall. Also, other than the beach in Destin, Destin Commons is the single most visited place in Destin. Kids love playing in the fountains. I think they seem to like it more than playing at the beach. Like it or not, these shopping places are packed throughout the summer. Here at the beach, for retailers, we have three months of Christmas - June, July & August. December is just a bonus. It is not surprising to see the factory stores here, empty for most of December.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I believe this is the largest mall in America, SJ. http://www.mallofamerica.com/ This is considered a "vacation destination". I know it seems like we are at the center of the world here but, really, there is a huge universe outside the Southeast everyone!
I have no idea what the largest mall is, but what I heard was that the Factory Stores at Sandestin were the USA's largest "outlet mall."

From http://www.silversandsoutlet.com/html/center_info/about_us.php
"The History and Vision Behind Silver Sands Factory Stores

What started as an empty shopping center and a vision held by one man has become the nation's largest designer outlet center.

Silver Sands Factory Stores, located just east of Destin, Fla., offers over 100 factory direct stores and some 450,000 square feet of retail space filled with designer merchandise at up to 75 percent off retail price. The five million plus shoppers a year can choose from such stores as Polo Ralph Lauren, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, Eddie Bauer, Jones New York, Bose, Coach, Liz Claiborne, Tommy Hilfiger, Lenox, Nike and Reebok - just to name a few."

Last edited: