• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

baseballnut

Beach Crab
Aug 20, 2006
Is it true,as some beachfront owners claim, that they own the beach to the mean waterline, a determination made based on a 19 year survey? If this is so, which I don't believe, it certainly compounds the problem of beach restoration and sea walls. Any legal comment?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Re: Ownership

Some own to the Mean High Water Line, which changes. At issue has been construction on public property and seaward of the Coastal Construction Control Line. You are correct in that property rights are at the heart of construction and restoration.

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
Without beach nurishment, the mean high water line is going to be redrawn to the middle of some beach front owners bed rooms. Will be a new experience and certainly a higher level of excitment for us beach walkers. :roll:

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Is it true,as some beachfront owners claim, that they own the beach to the mean waterline, a determination made based on a 19 year survey? If this is so, which I don't believe, it certainly compounds the problem of beach restoration and sea walls. Any legal comment?

the above looks similarly like(from the seawll thread):

I would like to know if beachfront owners own the beach to the mean water line, a determination made ,as I understand it ,over a 19 year peroid. I dont believe this, but if it's so, it compounds the whole problem of seawalls. Is there a legal opinion?

baseballnut, are you trying to get a point across here, or were you run off of someone's beach, or are you a new beachfront owner?

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
As long as I can remember, living first in Grayton, then on the Bay in Santa Rosa Beach, the beach has always been owned by the state. Dad used to build houses along the beach, but they were inexpensive due to the nature of building on sand. Sand shifts! I fail to understand how people can get insurance for expensive houses on sand dunes.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
As long as I can remember, living first in Grayton, then on the Bay in Santa Rosa Beach, the beach has always been owned by the state. Dad used to build houses along the beach, but they were inexpensive due to the nature of building on sand. Sand shifts! I fail to understand how people can get insurance for expensive houses on sand dunes.

This could get real weird this week. I think that all may change.