• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
whatever you do, do NOT go to Fresh Market today. Every Canadian that is in the Panhandle is there eating free food and drinking free coffee.

I thought it might be a BIT crowded today. Did you manage to get lunch?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
In other towns across the country, do people get as excited about getting a new grocery store as we SoWallers do?

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
In other towns across the country, do people get as excited about getting a new grocery store as we SoWallers do?

I was thrilled when our new Fresh Market opened..I couldn't wait to check it out. It has been open for 2 months now. Ask me if I have been there yet? :D

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal

Oh yes! We got a new Central Market here in Southlake in December and I pass it every day on the way to work. I was soooo excited--I used to pass by and say.."Open, Open, Open" like those old ads for Mervyn's. It is much like what you've decribed here--Fresh Market. I stop there quite frequently on my way home and although it is more expensive than Wal Mart it is also a heck of a lot more funn!!! I can always find something funn and different for mr. dd and I for dinner. :clap_1: Plus, they gave away really cool chef's knives for the first $50 you spent when they opened. :clap_1:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Overall, a good addition to the area. There are some good prices on yuppie foods if you know what you're looking for. Their parmesian reggiano is $13/lb, which is about $5/lb cheaper than what Publix sells it for. Fiji water is cheaper than we've seen it anywhere else, and the Alessi marinara sauce come in at $1/bottle cheaper than the P.

They had the elusive Stonyfield Farms low-fat yogurt Mr. Mouse is a big fan of. (He claims it's far superior to the no-fat version) And I am so going to work my way through that wonderful cheese case.

Some really good looking beef, though since neither Mr. Mouse nor I have had beef for about a decade, I can't vouch for the taste. And lots of good looking prepared deli case foods. Great place to grab a quick meal.

I wasn't impressed with the produce. All beautifully presented, but neither the apples nor the peaches smelled like much, which is usually the key to how good they taste. And their bakery isn't quite as good as Publix's either.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I thought it might be a BIT crowded today. Did you manage to get lunch?

Word is she ended up at the Chicky Fil A. I got an education on Canadian snowbirds. :blink:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
As someone who has the choice of a Port St Joe Piggly Wiggly or Apalach Piggly Wiggly, Fresh Market and Publix are but a gauzy, soft-focus dream. ;-)

OMG! I used to shop at 'The Pig' during my 5 years in Auburn, good memories.:razz:

I went to the Fresh Market yesterday (ugh!) -way too crowded like a few posters have said.

Pricey, but I did like the variety of items that they offer. I will probably head there on a regular basis to pick up hard to find items but I'm not sure it will be in my weekly shopping routine.

Still, a welcome addition to our food shopping choices.