• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I love Fresh Market. It is so yuppified yet it is totally irresistible. There are some organic products, but as SJ noted, not everything is. The presentation of all their foods is just divine and the meats are very good. We have one about a mile away and it is great for picking up something quick and delicious for dinner in a pinch.

The prices are high but shopping there is a true experience. They offer fresh Gulf grouper at $17.99 a pound -- which I know sounds outrageous, but when half the restaurants in the area are proven by DNA testing to be serving fake grouper, it seems like a bargain since you know that you are actually getting grouper. :blink:
Price is all relative after living at the beach. I, too, shopped at Fresh Market on occasion before moving to the beach, and I thought it was pricey compared to Bi-Lo (a Carolinas grocery chain). Here, Publix is higher priced than that Fresh Market where I once shopped on occasion. I am curious to see if the new Fresh Market is similarly priced to our local Publix.

I still would rather shop at the Publix, located a short distance from my house, than drive to Wally World to save some bucks. The hassle of driving to Destin alone, would not make up the difference in savings.

Fresh Market does have a nice selection of meat. Insert drooling smilie here. "You can't beet our meet."

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
agree with ya there SJ - I won't be driving to Destin for food - at least not often. But, I do look forward to shopping at fresh market on occasion.

sometimes I drive to publix at the commons because the bigger store has more to offer overall. may as well drop in at fresh market...

As someone who has the choice of a Port St Joe Piggly Wiggly or Apalach Piggly Wiggly, Fresh Market and Publix are but a gauzy, soft-focus dream. ;-)

I shopped at the Tallahassee Fresh Market last November. They pushed my grocery cart to the car and loaded the groceries into it!

Fresh Market reminds me a lot of Whole Paycheck with its tasteful lighting and gourmet specialties. It's not a place that I would shop regularly, but as I did with the Denver Whole Foods, I'd go there maybe once or twice a month to treat myself with seafood you really can trust, and the occasional gourmet goodies.

What this state *really* needs is a Trader Joe's.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The best thing about Fresh Market is the low lighting, classical music, wonderful smells, small size, mini-baskarts that carry the hand held baskets, and always helpful staff. It is like a grocery shopping vacation.