• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
steele mama;212869 from [B said:
Newnan GA[/B]]Speaking of retiring......let's retire this thread. :D
Tell The Murph TheSheep says Hi! and that his oldest son still can't shoot a lick.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Toots, I don't think I phrased my reply well and I certainly don't refute the facts as you have stated above re: SoWal. MOF, I embrace them and that is the curiosity, the fact that community and all the features you mention can be found in many, many places where the costs are less and the densities of people are as well.

If you were to find a place that had all the qualities you describe, everything you like about SoWal, and was both less expensive and much more private in living space, would you move? :drool:

well, I happen to have a very private place to live, plenty of wooded property all around me, and I don't know what's more expensive about living here than anywhere else. maybe groceries are more expensive (so I hear). gas is more here than other areas to the north. dining can be expensive, sure. but we're cooks and prefer to dine in mostly. yes, a glass of wine at seaside is about $12 (and it's half full). but, we know where to go and enjoy our own vino, and do so quite often, at the beach or on the bay, or down the street at jdargs house...

I think you have to live here to really experience the amazing community feel, the incredible people, and especially the beautiful natural environment all around us.

the only reason some folks may not quite like sowal is they may feel it doesn't offer enough to do as far as cultural events and such. some folks like the big city life. but for me, I like the smaller community. heck, this place is hardly big enough to be called a town yet. that's what I like.

Last edited:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
well, I happen to have a very private place to live, plenty of wooded property all around me, and I don't know what's more expensive about living here than anywhere else. maybe groceries are more expensive (so I hear). gas is more here than other areas to the north. dining can be expensive, sure. but we're cooks and prefer to dine in mostly. yes, a glass of wine at seaside is about $12 (and it's half full). but, we know where to go and enjoy our own vino, and do so quite often, at the beach or on the bay, or down the street at jdargs house...

I think you have to live here to really experience the amazing community feel, the incredible people, and especially the beautiful natural environment all around us.

the only reason some folks may not quite like sowal is they may feel it doesn't offer enough to do as far as cultural events and such. some folks like the big city life. but for me, I like the smaller community. heck, this place is hardly big enough to be called a town yet. that's what I like.
You didn't answer the question but moving on...SoWal compared to many other places is quite expensive for instance the Cape San Blas area which is nestled into St. Joseph Aquatic Preserve and State Land Preserve. The beaches are much wider (overall), the people are friendly as is possible; SoWal has no lock on any of what you have mentioned and you pay a dear price in cost of housing, less natural environ and much, much higher density living.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
You didn't answer the question but moving on...SoWal compared to many other places is quite expensive for instance the Cape San Blas area which is nestled into St. Joseph Aquatic Preserve and State Land Preserve. The beaches are much wider (overall), the people are friendly as is possible; SoWal has no lock on any of what you have mentioned and you pay a dear price in cost of housing, less natural environ and much, much higher density living.

So, maybe The Sheep needs to graze Cape San Blas more often.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005

Sheep, I was reading my treasured book of stories by Somerset Maugham and one had a passage that might explain something to you. In the story, Maugham commented on a book about travelling and the two kinds of travellers there are: the armchair traveller who never leaves his room or his imagination, and therefore suffers no loss of illusion, and the other, which he describes as such:

"...there are people who take salt in their coffee. They say it gives it a tang, a savour, which is peculiar and fascinating. In the same way, there are certain places, surrounded by a halo of romance, to which the inevitable disillusionment which you must experience on seeing them gives a singular spice. You had expected something wholly beautiful and you get an impression which is infinitely more complicated than any that beauty can give you. It is like the weakness in the character of a great man which may make him less admirable but certianly makes him more interesting."

Maybe those of us who love SoWal, despite or because of what it has become, are those who can take the salt in the coffee. Maybe you are of the no-salt variety, that's all. What we love in our coffee ruins it for you.

Last edited:

TripleB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 15, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I think we all can agree that living in SoWal is expensive. I doubt that one could find an "economical" coastal community (maybe there is one but I live in NoAL so what do I know?). The confusing thing Sheep is that you have gone from lamenting your disappointment with you last visit to apparently trying to convince others that they should feel the same way. The best "source" on how one should feel about living in SoWal is from those who live in SoWal. I believe many have answered that question. Those who reside in SoWal but do not frequent this board have answered the question too...they choose to live in SoWal.

I realize that sheep are white and of course we've all heard of "black sheep" but me thinks TheSheep has a tinge of green.