• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seagrovechick

Beach Comber
Dec 23, 2004
Thinking of opening a fast-casual restaurant by the Publix in Watercolor with counter service vs. waitstaff and reasonable prices (at least for this area!). Would love your opinion on what you think the area needs. Examples are Pizza, Mexican, Burgers, Chinese, etc. Thanks!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
seagrovechick said:
Thinking of opening a fast-casual restaurant by the Publix in Watercolor with counter service vs. waitstaff and reasonable prices (at least for this area!). Would love your opinion on what you think the area needs. Examples are Pizza, Mexican, Burgers, Chinese, etc. Thanks!

Seems like there is a great desire for a grilled cheese stand. Personally, I think the type of restaurant depends on the quality of the food. A great Chinese Chef does not necessarily make great pizzas.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Grilled cheese. :rotfl:

It looks like the Thai Cafe won't be re-opening, :sosad: so Thai food is what I want. Finding a chef is the difficult part. Probably easier to do chinese.

Really good fried box takeouts would be a huge hit with the local work crowd and vacationers - seafood and chicken boxes, with one or two sandwhich offers. You'd be competing with Publix so yours would have to be better at not too much higher price.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
GUARANTEED: if you open a California-style make-your-own burrito type place, it's a no-brainer. Everyone likes it, and there's no competition here for this. Chains such as Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, etc. are the example, and they do incredible business wherever they open. You get to choose your meat (beef, chicken, etc), add any veggies you want (grilled onions, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, olives, whatever) and cheese, then have it wrapped up in tortillas and grilled. Low overhead for you, and easy to take out for us---which would be excellent, being right next to the Publix.

Thai would be great too, but the burrito idea requires less money to get underway, because the decor can be basic and you don't need gourmet chefs to make it. Of course, if you can find a *good* Thai cook, go for that too!

Hope this sparks an idea for you....;) Kt

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
There is already a Moe's next to the Sandestin Publix. The same family owns a second Moe's next to Big Kahuna's in Destin. I believe they have the franchise rites for this area.

A place that sells great burgers and chicken sandwiches has my vote--something to take the place of the Seagrove Village Market because they are closing. You could also offer grilled cheese.

Chinese would be great too.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Camp Creek Kid said:
There is already a Moe's next to the Sandestin Pulix. The same family owns a second Moe's next to Big Kahuna's in Destin. I believe they have the franchise rites for this area.
They also have one in Ft Walton. Funny thing is that Moe's had originally decided to go in next to Publix in WaterColor, but got scared, and backed out, before later deciding to go into Sandestin.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Camp Creek Kid said:
There is already a Moe's next to the Sandestin Publix. The same family owns a second Moe's next to Big Kahuna's in Destin. I believe they have the franchise rites for this area.

A place that sells great burgers and chicken sandwiches has my vote--something to take the place of the Seagrove Village Market because they are closing. You could also offer grilled cheese.

Chinese would be great too.

Seagrove Market is not closing.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
That is good to know! I thought with the proposed redeveopment of that block that it was going to close for awhile, but eventually reopen???

Last edited: