• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
The problem with fingering a restaurant in public is that there are many times where people are certain that they know what made them sick - and it wasn't what they thought it was at all. It normally takes 36-48 hours for food poisoning to generate symptoms (though it can happen sooner) - and people are often fooled into thinking it was the last thing they ate. That's why you report it to the health department!

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
The problem with fingering a restaurant in public is that there are many times where people are certain that they know what made them sick - and it wasn't what they thought it was at all. It normally takes 36-48 hours for food poisoning to generate symptoms (though it can happen sooner) - and people are often fooled into thinking it was the last thing they ate. That's why you report it to the health department!

yes, correct. but if you went to the hospital, and the findings were conclusive, and you want others to be wary...

food poisoning can manifest within 8 hours.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
BR, yes, i understand not wanting to publicly bash a restaurant, especially one that is popular and that you like(or liked until you got sick there :D
it just doesn't seem nice, i know. and you have a good point, it can happen anywhere. but on the other hand, ick, if they have bad food practices..... :shock:

reece

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
hello
wow-food poisoning is awful. glad you are feeling better.
i'm curious, why won't you post the name of the restaurant? Seems like it would be a public service.

reece
While it is most likely that one can trace their steps to the food poison, there is potential for error, and wouldn't it be a shame to place such a stigma incorrectly on the wrong restaurant? There is also some slander problems with being incorrect. ;-) Reporting to the owner and the Health Dept, should take care of public interest.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
I agree, with the info so far about this particular incident, that outting the restaurant would not be a fair and responsible thing to do. If there was an "outbreak" and 10 people here were saying they all got sick and it was discovered that they all ate at the same place, either on the same day or scattered, THEN I think it would be ok to discuss specifics. Well, we'd probably hear about it anyhow in the media or paper.

For example, having a bad oyster or shrimp isn't the "fault" of the restaurant IMO - that is just a bad luck kind of thing. I know I can buy a pound of shrimp and prepare it myself and sometimes there is just a bad one in there. I don't out the place I bought the shrimp. It happens. Conversly, if someone or a group of people were contaminated by E. Coli because of poor hygeine practices by someone preparing or serving the food, that is what I would want to know. But what if someone gets sick because the didn't wash their own hands after they ... you know what :roll: ... get back to the table, and when handling their OWN food, contiminate their meal with E.Coli. Maybe that is why, unless it's an "outbreak", it really can't be verified. Or if I get my order and there is a bug in it or see dead bugs in the bathroom or restaurant or rat droppings - those to me would be red flags.

Another interesting scenario - if you order a hamburger at a restaurant and request it be served rare or medium rare, and you get sick, is that the fault of the restaurant or the customer who ordered it?? I think it's "eater's beware" and you need to make the decision, and if because of your decision you get sick, you don't have a right to bash the restaurant. What about a real caesar salad made with raw egg?? Same thing.

If there was an "outbreak" and 10 people here were saying they all got sick and it was discovered that they all ate at the same place, either on the same day or scattered, THEN I think it would be ok to discuss specifics.
Yeah, and if all 10 of them were SoWallers, they'd all know!

There was a low probability when I originally started this thread that someone else might have gotten food poisoning and also read this message board. But it was worth a try just to satisfy my curiosity regarding how I got sick. Besides, I for one am so addicted to this board that sometimes I think, "DOESN'T THE ENTIRE CIVILIZED WORLD KEEP UP WITH SOWAL.COM/BB?"
:lolabove: :funn: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rofl:

Good points, Indigo Jill.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
sj - true - you are right. reporting is the proper way to provide that public service.

jill - good point. i wouldn't blame the restaurant if i ordered a raw oyster or raw hamburger (eww). but i agree, if they are not practicing safe food handling within their establishment, i'd want to know so i could avoid it if i wanted to. again, i guess that's where the health dept comes in huh?

i'm not a sowaler local(sigh) so, forgive me for chiming in my .2 :cool:

reece

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Another interesting scenario - if you order a hamburger at a restaurant and request it be served rare or medium rare, and you get sick, is that the fault of the restaurant or the customer who ordered it?? I think it's "eater's beware" and you need to make the decision, and if because of your decision you get sick, you don't have a right to bash the restaurant. What about a real caesar salad made with raw egg?? Same thing.

so, no more steak tartare?

the fact that a server needs to state some kind of disclaimer when meat is ordered mid-rare really irks me. i ordered it that way. i know there is no risk. i've been eating mid-rare burgers for 35 years and never got sick...