• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
One of the severely damaged Bungalows re ignited at about 5 AM.
This picture is at 8:30 AM.

This house is being allowed to burn out while the surrounding area is protected by spraying down.

Winds have picked up and smoke is seen rising in hot spots in the forest.

Please note: residents do not want gawkers driving their cars around their neighborhood. I was on a bike and asked permission.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
In that case, I hope they keep a supply at the WaterColor Fire Station, and I hope that everyone will stop by there and buy one, on their next trip to Publix at WaterColor.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Firefighters entering another Bungalow house with fire hose at 8:45AM.

Note: residents described their pine straw around their houses as an "accelerant" and planned to replace it with stone or fire retardant bark. The pine straw was burned around many of the non damaged buildings.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I've been here long enough to remember 1998, and was always amazed that Watercolor used so much pine straw everywhere when they built it considering how Watercolor is otherwise pretty good about landscaping for the local climate.

And that's just one neighborhood I can think of because we've walked through there a lot of times. How many smaller neighborhoods do similar?

Hey Guys - I am a new owner in SoWal - looked at the Bungalows even! - but just was introduced to the site yesterday by a friend and wanted to thank you for this forum and your updates! I also want to extend my concern to all those who own property in this area - our thoughts are with you!

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I've been here long enough to remember 1998, and was always amazed that Watercolor used so much pine straw everywhere when they built it considering how Watercolor is otherwise pretty good about landscaping for the local climate.

And that's just one neighborhood I can think of because we've walked through there a lot of times. How many smaller neighborhoods do similar?

The reason for the pine straw is that the county requires "natural landscaping" for many developments. Lawns are not considering natural landscaping and bare sand is both unattractive and not considered landscaping. There really is no alternative. Pine straw is considered natural landscaping.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Pinestraw is pretty common around here. Most folks use it instead of mulch. I'd worry more about all of the dead branches, trees, and undergrowth but it's something to think about.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
The reason for the pine straw is that the county requires "natural landscaping" for many developments. Lawns are not considering natural landscaping and bare sand is both unattractive and not considered landscaping. There really is no alternative. Pine straw is considered natural landscaping.

Sounds like some county ordinances need to be changed! I can remember going to someone's house when I was a kid where they swept the yard with a broom. No grass or weeds at all.