Fire in SoWal -- Seagrove Beach

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Smiling JOe, May 8, 2007.

1. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

jinx! started a new thread.

2. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

Punch bug, you owe Jdarg a coke ;-)

3. yippie

yippie Beach Fanatic

In today's paper:

SEAGROVE BEACH ? The Florida Division of Forestry has concluded that a brush fire that burned in the area May 8 was started accidentally.
    Officials cannot determine just how the fire started, but it does not appear to be arson, said forestry spokesman Bob Rhea.
    It is believed that the fire was started accidentally by someone, but that is all investigators can conclude, Rhea said.
    The fire scorched seven acres, destroyed three homes and damaged several others near Somerset Bridge Road.

4. sunsetdunes

sunsetdunes Beach Lover

There was another fire in Wild Heron last night (Friday), too. Driving in from Atlanta, we smelled smoke on Back Beach and saw a couple of fire trucks at the entrance to the complex. Don't know how bad this one was, though.

5. yippie

yippie Beach Fanatic

Smoke smell is over powering in the Crystal Beach area in Destin. You can almost taste it. Anyone else?

6. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    In another thread I posted that there was a nauseating smell of smoke in Seagrove. Now I just faintly smell it.

7. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Smoke is not from here, say officials

May 24, 2007
    By Gwen Break
    gwen_break@link.freedom.com The South Walton Fire District issued a press release early May 24 advising residents that the heavy smoke in the area was from a fire approximately 250 miles to the east.
    The press release was issued after 911 received numerous calls for smoke investigations.
    The smoke is from fires burning in the Lake City area and is being delivered to the panhandle by an easterly wind.
    While SWFD is urging residents to not panic over the blanket of smoke, they said residents should continue to be vigilant in their fire prevention efforts.
    ?The relative humidity is still in the low 30s during the day with a very small chance of rain expected. These continued dry conditions maintain a high threat of wildland fires for our area,? said SWFD Deputy Fire Chief Sean Hughes.
    The Walton County Board of County Commissioners issued an emergency ordinance banning all open burning without a permit on May 22. State officials had issued a statewide ban earlier this month.

8. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I see on weather dot com that the threat of fire along 30-A is again a possibility with the low humidity and high winds. Will those of you who live down there full time keep those of us who aren't there full time informed? We can be there in a few hours to spray down our property and then assist others with theirs.

9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I think most of us that live here would be happy to house things down for you. Probably the fewer people running around the better in an emergency.:trainwreck:

Otherwise we'll:

:chill:

Can you tell I'm excited about getting my smilies working again?

10. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Chill BR. Don't borrow trouble. I hadn't even heard of this, but did check the weather and saw the warning. It is plenty humid out right now...about 75%.

11. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I agree with M.K. & S.W.G.B. There is no reason to think that just because Weatherdotcom says the fire risk is here that we need to be running around hosing down houses for out of town owners or anyone else. Nor is there a need for even more people to be coming in and trying to be the fire dept. Our fire dept is very competent and I have the utmost confidence in their ability to keep losses at a minimum should the not-so-unimaginable happen. With the current water supply in the southeast in the condition it is in, I personally think that going around needlessly spraying it, just in case, is absurd. Your neighbors in ATL would be a bit upset , if they knew that they were sending their dangerously low supply of drinking water (that you guys so desperately need and want to keep in that area) down here to hose down your vacation home should it be in danger. I suggest you check the amount that you have it insured for, and relax.

12. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

And let's not forget that North Georgia is under "red flag" fire conditions, too, right when the temperatures have started to really drop and everyone is starting to crank up the fireplaces.

13. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I am really more concerned with the fact that we are facing a situation that entire STATES would not have water to fight a fire than I am about the humidity being low and that fire danger is high right now.

14. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

For people who have renters in SoWal this week, it makes sense to call them and to let them know to be extra careful with fire safety (e.g., grilling - perhaps to pass on the grilling right now) while they are there. That's what I would do if we had renters. And thanks, BR, for keeping us on our toes (As someone who is also far from SoWal, I like that sort of information that I might otherwise miss).

15. yippie

yippie Beach Fanatic

16. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

17. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

There is still standing water in alot of the ditches around here. So fire danger isnt that bad yet.

18. CPort

CPort Beach Fanatic

As I type this I hear a fire truck and more sirens on the main road (my drive is 1/2 long) YIKES:confused:

19. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Yep, I can personally verify that. I drove home in nonstop rain that weekend. If I must come back down there so it will rain again, please let me know. Anything for the locals. ;-)

20. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I think we're good, but we'll keep you in mind. :D