• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LM99

Beach Crab
Jun 13, 2007
Hello!
My husband & I are looking into rentals for late Aug. / maybe Sept. and I can't tell which area would have more secluded beaches - Blue Mountain (I found a beach cottage there that says it has direct beach access), or Rosemary Beach near Seaside (I found some rentals there through Orlando vacation retreats that say they're 100-150 yds. to private beach). Any thoughts on these areas? Also, does anyone know anything about the Orlando Vacation Retreat rentals - they are located between Rosemary & Seaside, and it says most of them are called Magnolia by the Sea. Thanks!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Rosemary Beach proper is almost a zero lot line development. Lots of very nice homes, but very close together.

Blue Mountain is an older area- not all the bells and whistles of RB, but a fair number of the homes there are on bigger lots, and the overall density isn't as high.

For maximum seclusion levels, I'd look for a development called Gulf Trace near Grayton Beach. It's a smallish single family home neighborhood wedged between two sections of relatively undeveloped state park land.

KY oyster eater

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2005
Louisville
Rosemary Beach proper is almost a zero lot line development. Lots of very nice homes, but very close together.

Blue Mountain is an older area- not all the bells and whistles of RB, but a fair number of the homes there are on bigger lots, and the overall density isn't as high.

For maximum seclusion levels, I'd look for a development called Gulf Trace near Grayton Beach. It's a smallish single family home neighborhood wedged between two sections of relatively undeveloped state park land.
Does anybody have a map of how they are all laid out......from say Destin on down to Panama City Beach?

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
As a tourist myself, I also recommend Gulf Trace. Very secluded, but close enough to Grayton & Seaside that it's easy to go grab a bite to eat, shop, ride bikes (on the path, of course,) or whatever.

We always rent from Rivard Rentals in Grayton http://www.rivardnet.com/, but a lot of the houses are also handled by Beach Rentals of South Walton http://www.beachrentalsofsouthwalton.com/.

Rivard has always been good; I don't have any experience with BRSW.

Last edited:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hello!
My husband & I are looking into rentals for late Aug. / maybe Sept. and I can't tell which area would have more secluded beaches - Blue Mountain (I found a beach cottage there that says it has direct beach access), or Rosemary Beach near Seaside (I found some rentals there through Orlando vacation retreats that say they're 100-150 yds. to private beach). Any thoughts on these areas? Also, does anyone know anything about the Orlando Vacation Retreat rentals - they are located between Rosemary & Seaside, and it says most of them are called Magnolia by the Sea. Thanks!

Blue Mountain will be more secluded. But IMO, it won't be as pretty.....

I have spent a lot of time in both areas. Prior to Ivan/Dennis, Blue Mountain was awesome. But with all the seawall construction along Blue Mountain Road, there is so much discolored sand in the dunes (in addition to the development around Redfish Lake), the area no longer appeals to me.

Not sure if you have kids, but if you do, Seacrest would be a much better choice.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
Hello!
I haven't rented from the Orlando vacation, but I really wonder if they are renting the same properties as this group. http://www.vacationbythebeach.com/properties.htm We have booked w/ them for the first part of August, super rates at Magnolia by the Sea. I have noticed since then that the house we have rented is for sale. You might check them out, the rates are great and late summer rates start early in August.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Hello!
Family friends stayed at one of the Magnolia homes in April and were quite pleased by the pool and their home. I thought the quality level of finishes/decoration was quite nice and it is recent construction so not as much wear and tear from renters yet. Caveat - depending on what home you get, you may have a little walk to get to the beach and the stairs are a little funky. If you are looking for a secluded beach I would not recommend renting there during the main summer season.