• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
If you're looking for hard core Mexican, I've heard good feedback on that place on 331 in Freeport, and Destin Taquerita,

quote]I had lunch there last Wed. before taking Kaiboo to Pensacola. The salsa was delish (even the hot one!:lolabove: ) I had tacos, rice & beans. All was very good and the decor is Mexican funky! I liked their meat...it was nicely seasoned, unlike many places that do not season the meat at all.
The cheese dip was good, too!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
my first impression of a mexican restaurant is always chips, salsa and cheesedip. at the cantina - all of these failed, IMO. the chips were cold right out of a bag, and the cheese dip was that orange stuff you get out of the jar at publix - warmed. the salsa was okay, but not much flavor. they did serve a warm salsa that was tasty however.

the menu had some very nice looking entrees. I did enjoy the cheese chile relleno, the beans were good. the rice was not.

I don't love the place, but I know many friends who do.

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
my first impression of a mexican restaurant is always chips, salsa and cheesedip. at the cantina - all of these failed, IMO. the chips were cold right out of a bag, and the cheese dip was that orange stuff you get out of the jar at publix - warmed. the salsa was okay, but not much flavor. they did serve a warm salsa that was tasty however.

the menu had some very nice looking entrees. I did enjoy the cheese chile relleno, the beans were good. the rice was not.

I'll be at CoCo's with Toots. :wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'll be at CoCo's with Toots. :wave:

jean-pierre will be so happy to see you! we told him last week not to worry about laredo - that there was absolutely no competition there. actually, they are two very different kinds of places. apples and oranges. white cheese dip and orange.

ozbeachmom

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2007
Kansas/miramar beach
Could you tell by my last post that I also loved my margaritas??? (too many I loved the foods!!)
I shall not drink and type on the puter, I shall not drink and type on the puter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I had all three, and while you are right about the cheese dip looking rather Velveeta-E, it tasted great. I was shocked when I saw the tiny basket for the chips, but they refilled our basket about every 4 minutes. I loved the chips and found the salsa quite good. I think it was a bean based salsa, so it was a bit different from the norm, but good, in my opinion.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I love CoCo's! The food was great, and I loved my food. We went to Laredo and it was ok also but if I had my choice, I would choose to go to Coco's!!
CoCo's, in my opinion is filler food, cheaply priced, but for a reason. I cook better Mexican food than that, and my Margarita's don't compare. I know some people dislike cooking, but I love to cook, and will continue to cook at home for most of my meals.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I agree, SJ. I love to cook too, and I will continue to do so. My tomatoes fresh from my "container" garden have been wonderful this year.

Went to Stinky's Thursday night for the first time, and was disappointed.

For the price of a meal for the two, I can buy groceries for two weeks! And, the iced tea was weak, we did not like the slaw...the room was hot -- the grouper was good, but the overall effect was disappointing. I won't be going back any time soon. At least not until the summer is is over.